Free school meals and clothing grants
We provide children from low income families with free school meals and money to help towards buying school clothes. Young people over the age of 16 staying on at school and living on their own can also apply.
Find out if you qualify to claim free school meals on the Scottish Government website.
Each award is valid for one school year.
The meals award provides a pupil with one free school meal each day they attend school. Children in P1 to P3 across Scotland can take a free school meal every day.
The clothing grants are:
- £100 for primary
- £100 for secondary
New for 2019
You will be sent a letter in early June 2019 to get an automatic award if you meet all three of these conditions:
- You got an award for the previous school year
- You get Midlothian Council Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction, and
- Get Income Support, income-based Job Seekers Allowance or any income related element of Employment and Support Allowance
If you have not received a letter by 13 June 2019 and you meet the criteria above, please email us at [email protected] providing your full name, full postal address and children’s names.
If you have not qualified for an automatic renewal you can apply for free school meals and a clothing grant if you are receiving:
- Universal Credit (where your monthly earned income is not more than £610)
- Income Support
- Income based Job Seeker’s Allowance
- Income based Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
Your child is also entitled to free school lunches and a clothing grant if you receive:
- Child Tax Credit, but not Working Tax Credit, and your annual income is less than £16,105
- Both maximum Child Tax Credit and maximum Working Tax Credit and your annual income is under £6,900
There is a single application form for both benefits, and you need only apply once per year. Supporting evidence will be needed at the time of applying. We cannot process applications until we receive this.
Application forms are also available from:
Send completed forms to the address below.
We aim to process all applications within 28 days, although this may vary in busy periods.
Free school meals will be awarded immediately, and clothing grants will normally be awarded within 28 days from receipt of application.
- Applications received after 10 June 2019 will be paid by 15 July 2019
- Applications received after 30 June will be paid by 5 August 2019 and each fortnight thereafter