Winter on Midlothian roads
It is not possible to treat every road at the same time. That's why as part of our Winter Service Policy we have a priority system for treating roads.
Priority routes for roads and footways
In severe weather, treating priority 2 and 3 routes may be delayed as we concentrate on keeping the priority 1 routes clear.
Important principle roads and bus routes to hospitals, ambulance depots, fire stations, social / care centres and local danger spots (e.g. very steep hills).
- Agreed footway access routes to schools, health centres, and town centres.
- Roads that are cross routes, connecting routes, and accesses to industrial areas.
- Footways on hills and connecting footways.
- Roads and footways in in residential areas.
- Other unclassified roads and flat-lying footpaths.