Winter on Midlothian roads
It's not possible to treat every road at the same time. That's why we have a priority system for treating roads as part of our Winter Service Policy (PDF).
Priority routes for roads and footways
In winter weather, treating priority 2 and 3 routes may be delayed as we concentrate on keeping the priority 1 routes clear.
- List of priority 1 street gritting routes
- List of priority 1 A, B and C road gritting routes
- Priority gritting route map (PDF)
- Important principle roads and bus routes to hospitals, ambulance depots, fire stations, social / care centres and local danger spots (e.g. very steep hills).
- Agreed footway access routes to schools, health centres, and town centres.
- Roads that are cross routes, connecting routes, and accesses to industrial areas.
- Footways on hills and connecting footways.
- Roads and footways in in residential areas.
- Other unclassified roads and flat-lying footpaths.
Extreme severe weather
During extreme winter weather we have a list of routes we grit first which supersedes the priority routes.
- The list of routes we grit first in extreme winter weather
- A map of routes we grit first in extreme winter weather