Winter on Midlothian roads
Our winter service
Our winter service runs from 1 October to 31 March.
During this time we monitor conditions across our road network, and we grit and clear roads and footways in snow and freezing weather. We give priority to routes according to our Winter Service Policy and Operational plan (PDF).
We maintain the public road network in Midlothian apart from these trunk roads. They are the responsibility of Transport Scotland:
- A720 City of Edinburgh Bypass
- Request / refill a grit bin
- Grit bins in the east of Midlothian (PDF)
- Grit bins in the west of Midlothian (PDF)
The Ready Scotland website contains information and practical advice on preparing for and coping with severe weather conditions.
Help us improve our site
- Public roads in Midlothian
- Road occupation permit application forms
- Skip permit application form
- Road excavation application forms and specifications
- Tables and chairs application form
- Roads and pavements standards
- Application forms to construct a new road
- Winter service policy & operational plan
- Cycling - commuting by bike.
- Businesses and organisations welcoming cyclists in Midlothian
- Road Services standard drawings
- Road safety and action plans
- Priority gritting routes map
- Disabled persons parking places
- Winter parking restrictions
- Grit bins in Midlothian