Anyone planning to move an abnormal load on the public road network must by law give advance notice to the relevant local Bridge and Road Authority. This is so the proposed route can be assessed for suitability.
An abnormal load is a vehicle which exceeds certain weight, length, or width limits set out in the Road Vehicle (Construction and Use) regulations 1986.
Generally these limits are:
- Not exceeding 2.9m (9'6") overall width
- Not exceeding 18.3m (60'0") overall length
- Not exceeding 44,000Kg (44t) gross weight
Help us improve our siteHaving problems submitting this form?
- Public roads in Midlothian
- Road occupation permit application forms
- Road excavation application forms and specifications
- Tables and chairs application form
- Roads and pavements standards
- Application forms to construct a new road
- Winter service policy and operational plan
- Cycling - commuting by bike
- Businesses and organisations welcoming cyclists in Midlothian
- Road Services standard drawings
- Road safety and action plans
- Priority gritting routes map
- Disabled persons parking places
- Winter parking restrictions
- Barleyknowe Road, Gorebridge - Temporary Road Closure Plan (PDF)