Road Excavation

Construct or extend a driveway

Please contact Road Services and we will assess the area you wish to lower. If it is possible to lower the kerb, we will send you an application form and general specification.

You will then have to appoint a competent contractor. You or the contractor should apply to Road Services for the permit before starting work. There is a charge of £114 from 1 April 2024 for this permit.

A full application requires:

  • A completed application form.
  • A copy of the appointed contractor's public liability insurance.
  • A copy of the appointed contractor's Street Works Registration Card.

Do not start work until you get written permission from us. Works must be carried out on the dates specified on the permit.

Before applying for a permit, please contact the Duty Planning Officer at Fairfield House, Dalkeith as you may require planning consent.

If you are not the owner of the property, you will need written consent from your Landlord.

Send enquiries and applications to