Road occupation permits
It is an offence to:
- deposit building materials, containers or cabins
- erect scaffolding, staging or hoarding
on a public road without prior permission (section 58 of the Road (Scotland) Act 1984). 'Public road' includes the carriageway, footway, verges, remote footways and cycle tracks.
If the carriageway is occupied without a permit, a fixed penalty notice may be issued. A retrospective permit will also be needed.
Road Services can:
- issue a permit to occupy a portion of the road temporarily
- issue necessary temporary traffic regulation orders
- switch off/on permanent traffic signals.
Application forms for permits listed below:
- Occupy a portion of a road temporarily - B1 (PDF)
- Occupy a portion of a road temporarily for building operations - B1a (PDF)
- Erect scaffolding - B2 (PDF)
- Certificate of completion, removal of scaffolding/hoarding/staging - B3 (PDF)
Help us improve our siteHaving problems submitting this form?
- Public roads in Midlothian
- Road occupation permit application forms
- Road excavation application forms and specifications
- Tables and chairs application form
- Roads and pavements standards
- Application forms to construct a new road
- Winter service policy and operational plan
- Cycling - commuting by bike
- Businesses and organisations welcoming cyclists in Midlothian
- Road Services standard drawings
- Road safety and action plans
- Priority gritting routes map
- Disabled persons parking places
- Winter parking restrictions