Road occupation permits

It is an offence to:

  • deposit building materials, containers or cabins
  • erect scaffolding, staging or hoarding

on a public road without prior permission (section 58 of the Road (Scotland) Act 1984). 'Public road' includes the carriageway, footway, verges, remote footways and cycle tracks.

If the carriageway is occupied without a permit, a fixed penalty notice may be issued. A retrospective permit will also be needed.

Road Services can:

  • issue a permit to occupy a portion of the road temporarily
  • issue necessary temporary traffic regulation orders
  • switch off/on permanent traffic signals.

Application forms for permits listed below: