Winter on Midlothian roads
It's not possible to treat every road at the same time. That's why we have a priority system for treating roads as part of our Winter Service Policy (PDF).
Priority routes for roads and footways
In winter weather, treating priority 2 and 3 routes may be delayed as we concentrate on keeping the priority 1 routes clear.
- Priority gritting route map (PDF)
- Mini tractor footway gritting - list of streets (PDF).
- HGV Gritting Routes (PDF) - not as driven
- Important principle roads and bus routes to hospitals, ambulance depots, fire stations, social / care centres and local danger spots (e.g. very steep hills).
- Agreed footway access routes to schools, health centres, and town centres.
- Roads that are cross routes, connecting routes, and accesses to industrial areas.
- Footways on hills and connecting footways.
- Roads and footways in in residential areas.
- Other unclassified roads and flat-lying footpaths.
Extreme severe weather
During extreme winter weather we have a list of routes we grit first which supersedes the priority routes.
- The list of routes we grit first in extreme winter weather (PDF)
- A map of routes we grit first in extreme winter weather (PDF)
Help us improve our siteHaving problems submitting this form?
- Public roads in Midlothian
- Road occupation permit application forms
- Skip permit application form
- Road excavation application forms and specifications
- Tables and chairs application form
- Roads and pavements standards
- Application forms to construct a new road
- Winter service policy and operational plan
- Cycling - commuting by bike.
- Businesses and organisations welcoming cyclists in Midlothian
- Road Services standard drawings
- Road safety and action plans
- Priority gritting routes map
- Disabled persons parking places
- Winter parking restrictions
- Grit bins in Midlothian
- Road Closure Information Leaflet - Penicuik - March 2019 (PDF)
- Hunterfield Road, Gorebridge - Temporary Road Closure Phase 1 Plan
- Hunterfield Road, Gorebridge - Phase 1 Temporary No Waiting, Loading and Unloading restrictions
- Hunterfield Road, Gorebridge - Phase 2 Temporary No waiting, Loading and Unloading Plan
- Bryans Road, Newtongrange - road closure
- Abbey Road Junction with Newbattle Road, Eskbank - temporary road closure plan PDF
- Barleyknowe Road, Gorebridge - Temporary Road Closure Plan (PDF)