Midlothian Council's Travel Plan for 2017 to 2021 will make our operational travel and transport greener and fairer, including staff commuting.
Prompted by Scotland's National Transport Strategy, the Plan sets out an aim, objectives, targets and a programme of actions.
Actions in the Plan have these objectives:
- enable those accessing our services to do so on foot, by bicycle, by public transport, or without having to travel at all
- reduce the impact of our operational travel requirements
- manage our workplace car parking efficiently, effectively and equitably
- promote the Plan and travel planning to our people and visitors.
Targets include a 10% drop in the number of people who drive to work.
Two 'salary sacrifice' schemes will be introduced:
- the UK Government backed 'Cycle to Work' scheme
- a 'bus ticket' scheme.
Staff can pay for a bicycle or bus season ticket from their gross salary and spread the payments. The financial savings are an incentive for them to leave their cars at home.