Support coping with rising living costs
Support for all
- Help with coronavirus
- Essential transport
- Medicines and seeing your GP
- Staying connected
- Mental health
- Sensory impairment
- Learning disability
- LGBT+ community
- Domestic abuse + sexual violence
- If all other options have been exhausted, or if you think someone is at risk of harm
If you can afford food but need help to get it
- Check if there are any online shopping slots or get someone to click and collect for you
- Local business might be able to deliver
- Call the Red Cross helpline 0808 196 3651. It's free and confidential and open 10am-6pm
- Call the council 9am and 5pm Mondays to Thursdays and 9am and 3.30pm on Fridays: 0131 270 8894
- If you are unable to call the council or Red Cross email CLL@midlothian.gov.uk
- Twitter: @MidHelp (9am-5pm weekdays)
If you cannot afford food: families with children 0-18
- Dalkeith Storehouse - You must be referred - 0131 271 3414
- Newbattle Storehouse - You must be referred - 0131 271 3414
- Penicuik North Kirk - You must be referred - 0131 271 3414
If you cannot afford food: all ages (food banks)
- Gorebridge (Trussel Trust) – You must be referred, call - 0131 270 7500
Gorebridge Church, Hunterfield Road. Monday – Friday 10.00am-2.00pm
07789 173 276 (referrers only)
- Penicuik (Food Fact Friends) - You must be referred, call - 0131 270 7500
Community Hub, 42 John Street, Penicuik. Monday and Friday 10.30am - 3.00pm
07507 697109 firstname.lastname@example.org (referrers only)
- Community Food Pantry (MAEDT) – For residents of Mayfield and Easthouses.
Sign up to become a member and then shop there for £3.50 a week, getting around £15 worth of groceries – 0131 663 5317
14-15 Bogwood Road, Mayfield, EH22 5DG
- Food Train – (age 65+) 0800 13 88 220 (FREE) - www.eatwellagewell.org.uk
Monday, Wednesday & Thursday 9am-4pm - information and advice to stay well nourished. Top of page
- Scottish Welfare Fund
More about the fund and apply online or call 0131 270 5600
Crisis Grants - for emergencies when you have no other means.
Community Care Grant - to provide a safe + secure home when you have no other means.
Self-isolation Support Grant - if you have been asked to self-isolate by test and trace.
- British Red Cross Midlothian Older People’s Assistance Fund (60+)
One off immediate payments of up to £60 for urgent needs and/or increased costs due to COVID for people living in poverty.
Help with paying for childcare
Advice on benefits, housing, employment
- Citizen’s Advice Bureaux
Penicuik – 01968 675 259 or email@example.com
Dalkeith 0131 660 1636 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Welfare Rights Team, Midlothian Council - 0131 270 8922
Benefit advice for social work clients, people over pension age, people with cancer or their carers, and people who need help appealing a DWP decision.
- One Parent Families Scotland 0808 801 0323
- Changeworks - 0131 555 4010
Grants and advice to keep your home affordably warm
- Home Energy Scotland 0808 808 2282 (FREE)
help to reduce energy bills and create warmer homes
Advice on energy supply and bills
- Handicabs Lothian (HCL) 0131 447 9953
- For support getting to a vaccination appointment call the National Vaccination Helpline on 0800 030 8013 (8am-8pm)
If you are picking up someone else's prescription for them, you may be asked to show ID.
If your pharmacy cannot deliver and you have no way of collecting your prescription e.g. if you are staying at home because you have Covid contact us on 0131 270 8894 or CLL@midlothian.gov.uk.
In Scotland you can turn to NHSinform.scot day and night for information on health conditions, what you should do, and when you should get in touch with professionals.
Chatting with someone
- Red Cross coronavirus helpline 0808 196 3651
Friendship calls available 10am-6pm daily or help and advice about getting food and medication.
- Red Cross Connecting With You: For over 18s if you are lonely call 03003033077 or email email@example.com
- Chest Heart and Stroke Scotland - 0808 801 0899
Friendship calls and advice about conditions
- The Silverline - (age 55 +) 0800 470 8090 (FREE)
Friendship calls and advice. 24 hours a day, every day.
- Volunteer Midlothian
Call 07859 914587 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Staying connected in other ways
- Midlothian Active Choices - 0131 561 6507 Midlothian Active Choices on Facebook
Exercises for people with health conditions and/or weight management.
- Ageing Well (age 50+) - 0131 561 6506
Exercises, walking and talking groups. Ageing Well Midlothian on Facebook
ALISS - Community Health & Wellbeing Information
Services, groups and activities close to you.
- Y2K (age 11-18 living in Mayfield/Easthouses)
Y2K on Facebook
Y2K on Instagram
Y2K on twitter
- Community Councils
- Breathing Space – 0800 83 85 87 (Free)
Confidential support if you are feeling low, anxious, low or depressed.
- Samaritans – 116 123 (Free)
Confidential listening line if you need someone to talk to.
- MYPAS (age 12 to 21) - 0131 454 0757 email@example.com
- NHS Lothian Child/youth mental health
Resources to help young people cope with such stress and uncertainty at this time
- Order hearing aid batteries: 0131 270 7500 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- RNIB - 0303 123 9999 email@example.com
Practical and emotional support and help to stay connected
- Deafblind Scotland - 07715 421399 (call or text) firstname.lastname@example.org
One to one support, accessible COVID-19 briefings and help to stay connected
- Alzheimer Scotland - 0808 808 3000
information, advice and support 24 hours a day, every day.
- Support for unpaid carers
Information about local supports, PPE and testing
- VOCAL Midlothian - 0131 663 6869
information, advice and one to one support
- MYPAS LGBT+ Youth Group (12-21 year olds)
0131 454 0757
- LGBT Youth Scotland (13-25 year olds)
07786 202 370 (text message chat only)
live chat sessions via website.
- LGBT Health and Wellbeing (age 50 +)
0300 123 2523 or email@example.com
Regular or one off friendship calls.
- Women's Aid East and Midlothian - 0131 561 5800 firstname.lastname@example.org
Facebook: Womens Aid East and Midlothian
- Shakti Women's Aid - 0131 475 2399 www.shaktiedinburgh.co.uk
Support to BME women, children, and young people.
- FearFree - 0131 624 7266
Domestic abuse service for men and any LGBT+ person - support by phone, text, WhatsApp
- National Rape Crisis Helpline
08088 01 03 02 or textline: 07537 410 027
Every night 6pm to midnight
- Edinburgh Rape Crisis Centre - email@example.com or visit Edinburgh Rape Crisis Centre website
If you have experienced rape or sexual assault in the last 7 days.
- AMIS (Abused Men In Scotland) - 0808 800 0024
- Registering a death - 0131 271 3281
- Funeral support payment - 0800 182 2222
Help with funeral costs
- Bereavement support from Midlothian Council
- Good Life, Good Death, Good Grief
- National Association of Funeral Directors
Guidance for bereaved families
- Children & Families on 0131 271 3413 (Emergency Out of Hours: 0800 731 6969)
- Adult Social Care on 0131 271 3900 (Emergency Out of Hours: 0800 731 6969)
This document can be made available in a variety of alternate formats and community languages on request. If you would like more information about this or would like to request an alternative format or language, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For all health advice
Go to nhsinform.scot.