Support coping with rising living costs
Food and clothes
If you can't afford food
- Apply to the Scottish Welfare Fund or call 0131 270 5600
- Speak to your CAB worker, health visitor, primary/secondary school contact
- Visit your local food pantry
- Access your community fridge
- If you still need support for food please call 0131 270 7500
- If a family with children 0-18 years old please call 0131 271 3413
Local food pantries
- Community Food Pantry (MAEDT) – For residents of Mayfield & Easthouses.
- 14-15 Bogwood Road, Mayfield, EH22 5DG
- Sign up to become a member and then shop there for £3.50 a week, getting around £15 worth of groceries – 0131 663 5317
- Central Dalkeith and Woodburn Pantry - For residents of central Dalkeith & Woodburn.
- The MARC Building, 10 Woodburn Road, Dalkeith. Open Fridays 1.30pm to 5.30pm (closed for 15 minutes at 3pm to refill shelves).
- Membership is free, one membership card per household. Receive free fruit and veg, and bakery items (when and what available), free pet food to pet owners.
- Gorebridge Beacon - further details to follow shortly
- The Steading community fridge. The food in the fridge is available to those in need or anyone struggling with the current cost of living crisis.
- Open on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1 pm to 5 pm. Outwith these times please ask a member of staff at reception who would be happy to help, as long as items are available.
- Food Fact Friends community pantry and fridge
- Community Fridge: Monday, 10:30 – 15:00; Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 10:00 – 15:00; Friday 10:30am – 15:00; Saturday 11:00 – 13:00
- Pantry open to all Midlothian residents. £1.00 to join and £3.50 for 10 tokens: Tuesday 10:30 – 15:00; Thursday 1030 – 15:00; Saturday 11 – 13:00
- Community café - free tea, coffee, soup etc. Monday 10:30 – 15:00; Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 10:00 – 15:00; Friday 10:30 – 15:00; Saturday 11:00 – 13:00
- Free cat and dog food available all the time
If you can afford food but need help to get it
- Check if there are any online shopping slots or get someone to click and collect for you
- Local businesses might be able to deliver
- Call the Red Cross helpline 0808 196 3651. It's free and confidential and open 10am-6pm.
- Food Train – (age 65+) 0800 13 88 220 (FREE)
- Call the council 9am and 5pm Mondays to Thursdays and 9am and 3.30pm on Fridays: 0131 270 8894
- If you are unable to call the council or Red Cross email CLL@midlothian.gov.uk
- Twitter: @MidHelp (9am-5pm weekdays)
For help with clothing
- Sweet Dignity is a local community recycling project providing clothing for all ages, home and baby goods.