Trace your family tree
Our libraries have free resources to help you trace your family's history, both from home and the library.
Get started at home
- Talk to older members of your family.
- Look for letters, documents, certificates, photographs and medals.
- Look on the Scran website for images.
- Borrow a book from your local library about tracing your family tree.
There are various ways to obtain copies of Birth, Marriage or Death certificates:
- For recent certificates contact the Midlothian Registrar.
- For a historical certificate register and search at the Scotlands People website.
- Order certificates from the General Register of Scotland website.
Visit the Local & Family History Library
The Local & Family History Library is located within Dalkeith Library.
Appointments are not required, but it is best to contact us in advance so we can prepare material for you. Some of the collection is stored offsite, and it can take several days to make some records available. It will also help if your enquiry is very specific.
- Microfilm and microfiche readers
- Computers with scanners
- Black and white printer
Copyright-free images may be scanned. Guidance notes are available if you want to use our images in a publication.
- Black and white printing is 10p per page
- Colour printing is 60p per page
- Black and white photocopies cost 10p per A4 sheet, 20p per A3 sheet.