Spending on council services
The council's budget and council tax for 2018/19, and the savings programme for 2018/19 to 2021/22 were agreed at the Council Meeting on 13 February 2018.
The 2018/19 budget provides for spending on services of £201.5 million.
Savings 2018/19 to 2021/22
At a meeting of the full council on Tuesday 13 February 2018, councillors also agreed to increase council tax by 3 per cent from 1 April 2018, raising the Band D equivalent tax from £1,246 to £1,283 a year
- Find out more about Council Tax and the Tax Band your house is in.
- See our Council Tax factsheet 2018/19 (PDF) for more on council spending and where the money comes from.
Our Budget Challenge 2019/20
Current projections show that Midlothian Council will be £5.25 million short of what is needed to fund services in 2019/20. Estimates suggest that this budget gap could rise to £23.2 million by 2022/23.
Income and savings
The projected funding available already incorporates an increase in council tax next year of 3 per cent, although no increase will be confirmed until the council meets to agree its budget in February 2019. A programme of savings and service changes approved by the council last year has also been factored in. Although this is expected to deliver £2.65 million in savings in 2019/20, this still leaves an additional £5.25 million to be found next year.
Shaping our Future 2019/20
Find out more about our budget challenge on the Shaping our Future pages
Help us improve our siteHaving problems submitting this form?
- Statement of Accounts
- Annual Performance Reports
- Scottish Local Government Benchmarking Framework
- Single Midlothian Plan
- Service plans
- Balanced Scorecard
- SPI-2 Local Government Benchmarking Results
- Workforce Strategy
- Adult Social Care quarterly performance reports
- Children's Services quarterly performance reports
- Commercial Operations quarterly performance reports
- Communities and Economy quarterly performance reports
- Customer and Housing Services quarterly performance reports
- Education quarterly performance reports
- Finance and Integrated Service Support quarterly performance reports
- Property and Facilities Management quarterly performance reports
- Midlothian Council quarterly performance reports
- Midlothian Licensing Board Income and Expenditure
- How we spend your money 2017/18
- Change Programme 2018/19 to 2021/22
- Our Budget Challenge
- Summary of Proposed Savings
- Shaping our Future - Have Your Say Easy Read Guide 2017
- Our Budget Challenge - slide presentation 2017
- Education Attainment and Achievement Report
- Summary findings of the 2017 public consultation on Midlothian Council's savings proposals (Paper A)
- Savings approved by Midlothian Council on 13 February 2018
- Feedback from 2017 consultation on Midlothian Council's savings proposals (Paper B)
- Appendix 1 to Paper B - feedback from the 2017 consultation on the council's savings proposals
- Appendix 2 to Paper B - feedback from the 2017 consultation on the council's savings proposals
- Financial Strategy figures 2018/19 to 2021/22
- Trade union facility time