Support for all during COVID-19
- Help during the pandemic
- COVID-19 testing
- Essential transport
- Medicines and seeing your GP
- Staying connected
- Mental health
- Sensory impairment
- Learning disability
- LGBT+ community
- Domestic abuse + sexual violence
- If all other options have been exhausted, or if you think someone is at risk of harm
- Call between 9am and 5pm Mondays to Thursdays and 9am to 3.30pm on Fridays: 0131 270 7500
- Twitter: @MidHelp
Explore the options for getting tested in Midlothian.
If you can afford food but need help to get it
- Local businesses might be able to deliver.
- Call the council between 9am and 5pm Mondays to Thursdays and 9am and 3.30pm on Fridays: 0131 270 7500
- Red Cross 0131 654 0340
- Email CLL@midlothian.gov.uk (9am and 5pm Mondays to Thursdays and 9am and 3.30pm on Fridays)
- Twitter: @MidHelp (8am-6pm weekdays)
If you cannot afford food: all ages (food banks)
- Gorebridge (Trussel Trust) – You must be referred, call - 0131 270 7500
- Penicuik (Food Fact Friends) - You must be referred, call - 0131 270 7500
Community Hub, 42 John Street, Penicuik. Monday and Friday 10.30am - 3.00pm
07507 697109 firstname.lastname@example.org (referrers only)
If you are over 65 and need food advice.
- Food Train – (age 65+) 0800 13 88 220 (Free)
information and advice to stay well nourished
- Scottish Welfare Fund
More about the fund and apply online or call 0131 270 5600
Crisis Grants - for emergencies when you have no other means.
Community Care Grant - to provide a safe + secure home when you have no other means.
Self-isolation Support Grant - if you have been asked to self-isolate by test and trace
Help with paying for childcare
Advice on benefits, housing, employment
- Citizen’s Advice Bureaux
Penicuik – 01968 675 259 or email@example.com
Dalkeith 0131 660 1636 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- One Parent Families Scotland 0808 801 0323
- Changeworks - 0131 555 4010
Grants and advice to keep your home affordably warm
- Home Energy Scotland 0808 808 2282 (FREE)
help to reduce energy bills and create warmer homes
Advice on energy supply and bills
- Handicabs Lothian (HCL) 0131 447 9953
If you are picking up someone else's prescription for them, you may be asked to show ID.
If your pharmacy cannot deliver and you have no way of collecting your prescription because you are self-isolating contact us on 0131 270 7500 or CLL@midlothian.gov.uk
In Scotland you can turn to NHSinform.scot day and night for information on health conditions, what you should do, and when you should get in touch with professionals.
Chatting with someone
- Red Cross - 0131 654 0340
- Chest Heart and Stroke Scotland - 0808 801 0899
Friendship calls and advice about conditions
- The Silverline - (age 55 +) 0800 470 8090 (Free)
Friendship calls and advice. 24 hours a day, every day.
- Volunteer Midlothian – You must be referred so call 0131 660 1216 or email@example.com (referrers only)
Staying connected in other ways
- Midlothian Active Choices - 0131 561 6507 Midlothian Active Choices on Facebook
Exercises for people with health conditions and/or weight management.
- Ageing Well - 0131 561 6506 Ageing Well Midlothian on Facebook
Exercises, walking and talking groups for the over 50s.
- Autism in Midlothian
- Community Councils
- Ready Scotland
- Breathing Space – 0800 83 85 87 (Free)
Confidential support if you are feeling low, anxious, low or depressed.
- Samaritans – 116 123 (Free)
Confidential listening line if you need someone to talk to.
- Health In Mind Crisis line - 0131 663 5533
Monday to Friday 4pm-10pm, Saturday and Sunday 10am-4pm
- MYPAS (age 12 to 21) - 0131 454 0757 firstname.lastname@example.org
- NHS Lothian Child/youth mental health
Resources to help young people cope with such stress and uncertainty at this time
- Order hearing aid batteries: 0131 270 7500 or email@example.com
- RNIB - 0303 123 9999 firstname.lastname@example.org
Practical and emotional support and help to stay connected
- Deafblind Scotland - 07715 421399 (call or text) email@example.com
One to one support, accessible COVID-19 briefings and help to stay connected
- Alzheimer Scotland - 0808 808 3000
information, advice and support 24 hours a day, every day.
- Support for unpaid carers
Information about local supports, PPE and testing
- VOCAL Midlothian - 0131 663 6869
information, advice and one to one support
- MYPAS LGBT+ Youth Group (12-21 year olds)
0131 454 0757
- LGBT Youth Scotland (13-25 year olds)
07786 202 370 (text message chat only)
live chat sessions via website.
- LGBT Health and Wellbeing (age 50 +)
0300 123 2523 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Regular or one off friendship calls.
- Women's Aid East and Midlothian - 0131 561 5800 email@example.com
Facebook: Womens Aid East and Midlothian
- Shakti Women's Aid - 0131 475 2399 www.shaktiedinburgh.co.uk
Support to BME women, children, and young people.
- FearFree - 0131 624 7266
Domestic abuse service for men and any LGBT+ person - support by phone, text, WhatsApp
- National Rape Crisis Helpline
08088 01 03 02 or textline: 07537 410 027
Every night 6pm to midnight
- Edinburgh Rape Crisis Centre - firstname.lastname@example.org or visit Edinburgh Rape Crisis Centre website
If you have experienced rape or sexual assault in the last 7 days.
- AMIS (Abused Men In Scotland) - 0808 800 0024
- Registering a death - 0131 271 3281
- Funeral support payment - 0800 182 2222
Help with funeral costs
- Bereavement support from Midlothian Council
- Good Life, Good Death, Good Grief
- National Association of Funeral Directors COVID advice
Guidance for bereaved families
- Children & Families on 0131 271 3414 (Emergency Out of Hours: 0800 731 6969)
- Adult Social Care on 0131 271 3900 (Emergency Out of Hours: 0800 731 6969)
This document can be made available in a variety of alternate formats and community languages on request. If you would like more information about this or would like to request an alternative format or language, please contact: email@example.com.
For all health advice
Go to nhsinform.scot.