Our Spending Choices
Spending Choices 2019/20
Our citizens are at the heart of everything we do. We're committed to working together to make a difference to the lives of individuals, their families and communities - particularly those in the greatest need. That's why we want you to have your say on how the council spends its money. Our Spending Choices 2019/20 looks at how best to meet the demand for key services and gives residents and community organisations the opportunity to give their views.
Our budget challenge
Current estimates show that Midlothian Council will need £211.8 million to fund services next year. More than half of this will be spent on education and communities and a quarter on health and social care. However, the continuing cuts in Scottish Government funding that are expected, at a time of increased demand for these and other key services, means that the council's funding is likely to be £6.216 million short of what is needed.
Income and savings
Our estimate of the funding available to pay for services next year already assumes an increase in Council Tax of 3 per cent. (We expect Scottish Government to continue to cap Council Tax rises.) However, your councillors will need to agree by how much they want to increase Council Tax next year - no increase will be confirmed until the council meets to agree its budget in February 2019. A programme of savings and service changes approved by the council last year has also been included in our estimates. Although this is expected to deliver £2.65 million in savings in 2019/20, it still leaves an additional £6.216 million to be found next year.
Your views on our spending priorities
- What do you think the council's spending priorities should be?
- What could we do differently to save money?
- Are there services that we could reduce?
- Could communities do more to help deliver services?
- What services, if any, should we stop providing?
Have your say
- Take part on our online survey
- Email your comments and suggestions to HaveYourSay@midlothian.gov.uk or
- Write to Have Your Say, Midlothian House, Buccleuch Street, Dalkeith EH22 1DN
- Join the conversation on Facebook and Twitter @midgov #MakingaDifference
- Representatives from local groups will be invited to community engagement meetings in December 2018. Email HaveYourSay@midlothian.gov.uk for more details
- Speak to your local councillors
Find out more
- See our slide presentation which sets out more about our budget challenge (PowerPoint)
- See 'How your money is spent' – our easy to read infographic factsheet (PDF)
- Read our 'Spending Choices - your questions answered' pages
- See our ‘Council Tax spending’ factsheet 2018/19 (PDF)
Making a Difference
Find out more about how we’re investing in Midlothian’s future and how we’re working with our partners, volunteers and local groups to make a difference to the lives of local people and our communities.