Shaping our future
Our budget challenge
A series of savings options has been developed by council officers to help address Midlothian Council’s budget gap in 2018/19 and future years. These proposals were presented to a meeting of the full council on Tuesday 10 October 2017 and are now open for public consultation. Your councillors will consider all responses from residents, community groups and others before they take any decisions on the savings proposals. This will happen in the early part of 2018, as part of the budget setting process for 2018/19.
- Read a Summary of the Proposed Savings (PDF) (12 pages)
- Full details are included in the Change Programme (PDF) document (115 pages)
- See our slide presentation setting out our budget challenge
- See our 'infographic' factsheet for more on how we spend your money
- See our Easy Read Guide to Shaping Our Future - Have Your Say 2017 (PDF)
- How to Have Your Say
Paper copies of the Summary of Proposed Savings and Change Programme are also available in local libraries, along with printed versions of the Easy Read Guide
Why is there a budget shortfall?
Current projections show that the council is facing a severe budget shortfall next year of £13.5 million. By 2021/22, this could be as much as £45 million.
The shortfall is the result of continuing cuts in government funding at a time of increased demand from a growing population for key services such as education and social care. Even if council tax is increased again every year for the next 4 years by the 3% currently allowed by the Scottish Government, the council will still face a budget gap of £39.6 million by 2021/22.
Have your say
- Send your comments and suggestions to HaveYourSay@midlothian.gov.uk
- Complete our online survey form
- Write to Have Your Say, Midlothian Council, Midlothian House, Buccleuch Street, Dalkeith EH22 1DN
- Hand in comments to local libraries and council customer service desks. Comments sheets are available in libraries, along with details of the savings proposals.
A series of meetings with community groups also took place in early November. Representatives of local groups were sent invitations for these meetings. If you need further information, email HaveYourSay@midlothian.gov.uk
Our consultation is open until Thursday 14 December 2017.
Find out more about our budget challenge
The cost of services this year totals £198.7 million and is expected to rise to £205.1 million in 2018/19.
- See our 'infographic' factsheet for more on how we spend your money 2017/18 (PDF)
- See our 'infographic' factsheet on the budget challenge (PDF) we are facing in future years
The 2016 Shaping our Future consultation
Last year's ‘Choices for Change’ opinion survey, which set out some of the ways in which services could be changed, closed in November 2016.
- These are the summary findings of the Choices for Change survey.
- More on council spending in 2017/18 (this financial year)