Council Tax exemptions
Some homes are exempt from Council Tax, including properties occupied by:
- People under 18
- People who are severely mentally impaired.
Other exemptions cover empty homes which are:
- Unfurnished (exempt for up to six months)
- Owned by a charity (exempt for up to six months)
- Undergoing structural alteration or major repair (exempt for up to 12 months)
- Empty agricultural properties
- Left empty by someone who is now deceased
- Left empty by someone who has moved in order to provide personal care to another person
- Left empty by someone who has moved to receive personal care in a hospital or a home or elsewhere
- Left empty by full time students
- Unoccupied "Granny" annexes
Apply for exemption
- Apply for Council Tax exemption online
- Or download and print an application for Council Tax exemption (PDF).
Is there anything wrong with this page?