Council Tax reduction

You may be able to get help with paying your Council Tax. Council Tax Reduction (CTR) is a Government scheme to help those on low incomes.

For guidance visit CTR on The Scottish Government website.


If you think you may be entitled to Council Tax reduction, you should claim as soon as possible.

Review of reduction decision

You can ask us to review our decision about your claim for a Council Tax reduction.

Universal Credit claims

If you have applied for Universal Credit, use this form to apply for CTR:

How it is paid

Your council tax bill is normally reduced by the amount of Council Tax Reduction you are entitled to. However, if you have already paid your council tax in full for the year, you will get a refund of the Council Tax Reduction.

Or you may wish to carry the Reduction forward to next year’s council tax bill.

If your landlord or landlady pays the Council Tax for your home and includes a charge for the Council Tax in with your rent, then your Housing Benefit (not Council Tax Reduction) will include an amount for the Council Tax.