Universal Credit

Universal Credit aims to make the welfare system simpler by replacing six benefits and tax credits with a single monthly payment. It is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

It replaces:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income-related Employment & Support Allowance
  • Child Tax Credits
  • Working Tax Credits

As it's for people of working age, Universal Credit does not affect pensioners.

How to claim Universal Credit

You must apply online for Universal Credit. You need a bank account and an email address.

Remember to include details of your rent so your housing costs are part of your claim.

You will get an online account known as a journal. The DWP will tell you how and when to access it.

Council Tax Reduction

Your claim for Universal Credit does not include any Council Tax Reduction (CTR) you may be entitled to.

Only when you have claimed Universal Credit can you claim for CTR. The DWP will tell you how and when to do this.

Paying rent and Council Tax

Paying your rent on time and in full is the most important part of your Tenancy Agreement. It is your responsibility to ensure that your rent is paid on time, and to contact the Arrears Team if you are having financial difficulties.

We want to avoid taking arrears recovery action against you, so get in touch as soon as you have claimed Universal Credit. Failure to deal with rent arrears could result in legal action, and you could be at risk of losing your home.

We also need to arrange for you to pay your Council Tax. There are lots of payment options, including direct debit, and we can discuss which would be best for you.