Housing Benefit

How to claim

If you are of working age and need help with your housing costs, you must claim this through Universal Credit.

You must apply online for Universal Credit from the Department for Work and Pensions.

If you have attained State Pension Credit age, please complete the claim form:

If you think you may be entitled, you should claim as soon as possible. Delay may result in loss of benefit.

Who can claim

You can claim Housing Benefit if:

  • you have attained State Pension Credit age
  • and you live in the UK
  • and you pay rent for your home
  • and you have a low income.

You can claim if you are the named person liable to pay rent:

  • to us
  • or to a housing association
  • or to a private landlord.

If you are a joint-tenant, we can also help you with your share of the rent. In some circumstances you can be treated as the liable person, even though your name is not on the tenancy agreement.

Fast track your claim

To speed up your claim assessment, you can use our Fast Track service:

  1. Complete your Housing Benefit claim form (PDF).
  2. Make sure you have all the information we need to process your claim. The checklist on page 19 of the claim form will help you.
  3. Take your completed form with all the supporting information to Buccleuch House, Dalkeith. Ask for your claim to be Fast Tracked.
  4. We will then check your form is complete and that you have all the supporting information. If so, we will assess your claim within 3 working days.

How it is paid

We will pay your Housing Benefit to your bank or building society account. Payment is 2 weeks in arrears.

In some circumstances, we can pay your landlord directly 4 weeks in arrears.