How to claim
In Midlothian from 22 March 2017 if you are of working age and need help with your housing costs, you must claim this through Universal Credit from the Department for Work and Pensions.
You must apply online for Universal Credit.
If you have attained State Pension Credit age please complete the claim form:
- Download and print Housing Benefit claim form (PDF)
- or collect from our office in Buccleuch House, Dalkeith
- or ask us to post it to you by calling 0131 271 3201.
If you think you may be entitled you should claim as soon as possible, as failure to do so may result in a loss of benefit.
Who can claim
You can claim Housing Benefit if you:
- Have attained State Pension Credit age
- Live in the UK
- Pay rent for your home
- Have a low income
You can claim Housing Benefit if you are the named person liable to pay rent to us, a housing association or private landlord. If you are a joint-tenant, we can also help you with your share of the rent.
In some circumstances you can be treated as the liable person, even though your name is not on the tenancy agreement.
Fast track your claim
To speed up your claim assessment, you can use our Fast Track service:
- Complete your benefit claim form.
- Make sure you have all the information we need to process your claim. The checklist on page 19 of the claim form will help you.
- Take your completed form with all the supporting information to Buccleuch House, Dalkeith and ask for your claim to be Fast Tracked.
- We will then check your form is complete and that you have all the supporting information. If so, we will assess your claim within 3 working days.
How it is paid
We will pay your Housing Benefit to your bank or building society account. Payment is 2 weeks in arrears.
In some circumstances, we can pay your landlord directly 4 weeks in arrears.