Midlothian announces the European Election 2019 local results
The Local Returning Officer, Dr Grace Vickers has declared the local results in the European Parliamentary Election for the Midlothian Counting Area, part of the electoral region of Scotland.
An announcement on the overall national result will be made by the Regional Returning Officer in Edinburgh following the conclusion of all 32 counts in Scotland.
The total number of ballot papers to be counted in the Midlothian Counting Area was 26,373 and the turnout was 38.2%.
The total number of valid votes given to each registered party and individual candidate in the Midlothian area is as follows:
- Change UK - The Independent Group - 596
- Conservative and Unionist Party - 2,405
- Labour Party - 3,261
- Liberal Democrats - 3,463
- Scottish Green Party - 2,379
- Scottish National Party (SNP) - 9,773
- The Brexit Party - 3,709
- UK Independence Party (UKIP) - 550
- Gordon Edgar (Independent) - 111
- Ken Parke (Independent) - 41
Rejected ballot papers
The number of ballot papers rejected and not counted was 84. This can be broken down into the following:
- Want of an official mark - 2
- Voting for more than one registered party/individual candidate - 16
- Writing or mark by which voter could be identified - 0
- Unmarked or void for uncertainty - 66
The count took place at the Lasswade Centre, Bonnyrigg, Midlothian.