The quick and easy way to pay your rent and Council Tax
It’s now easier than ever to pay your council house rent or council tax – saving you the time and trouble of making unwanted journeys or waiting in a queue.
And because our payments counter at Buccleuch House in Dalkeith is currently closed, there’s no better time than now to make the change.
Changing to Direct Debit
Direct Debit is the easiest and safest way to pay. Your payments are made automatically through your bank or building society - so your rent or council tax bills are never forgotten.
How to do it
Simply call us on 0131 271 3201 and we’ll take your details over the phone. You don’t need to fill in any paperwork - but if you prefer, you can ask us to send you a form to fill in and return.
- You only need to give us your details once. From then on, we’ll arrange your payments for you
- We’ll always get your payments on time, so there’s no need to worry about reminders or any legal action
- You can pay your rent weekly or monthly on the 1st, 15th or last day of the month
- For Council Tax, you can choose to pay your bill on the 1st, 16th or the last day of each month. You can also choose to pay by 10 or 12 instalments.
Other ways to pay
If direct debit’s not for you, there are other easy ways to pay, including paying by debit card or credit card.
- You can pay using your debit card or credit card online. Secure payments can be made at www.midlothian.gov.uk/pay
- Or, simply phone us on 0131 660 1845. Because this is an automated helpline, you need to have a phone with a touch-tone keypad. The call will cost you 2p per minute plus your phone company’s access charge.
You can also pay your rent or Council Tax using your Payment Card at any Post Office or shop that displays the Paypoint or Payzone sign.
- Find your nearest Post Office
- Find your nearest Paypoint store
- Find your nearest Payzone store
- If you lose your payment card you can apply for a new one here or call us on 0131 271 3201.
Why can’t I pay by cash at the housing office?
Unfortunately, we have had to close our housing enquiry and payments counter at Buccleuch House due to the Coronavirus outbreak. As a result, we are now also having to review how we will provide these services in the future. Our aim is to make it as easy and as safe as possible for you to continue to make payments and access other services. We will keep you up-to-date with our plans.
If you need advice or information
- visit our Housing information pages or
- call us on 0131 271 3201
Difficulty paying your rent or Council Tax?
If you’re a council tenant, and need advice about your rent or council tax payments, you can call us in confidence on 0131 271 3499 or email us at [email protected]