Glencorse Primary consultation underway
Midlothian Council is inviting local people to give their views on a proposal to close Glencorse Primary School in Penicuik.
Runs until 13 November
The statutory consultation started on Friday 25 September and runs until Friday 13 November.
More about the proposals
It is proposed:
- to discontinue the provision of primary education at Glencorse Primary School from 25 June 2021
- to extend the catchment areas of Mauricewood and Roslin Primary Schools to include the Glencorse catchment area
- remaining pupils will have the choice of attending Mauricewood or Roslin Primary Schools, the nominated school will be considered to be the pupil’s catchment school
- children living in the Glencorse catchment area who, in the future, become of primary school age will have the choice of attending Mauricewood or Roslin Primary Schools, and the nominated school will be considered to be their catchment school
- school transport will be provided for all children affected, where there is no safe walking route to school and/or the distance from home to school is more than two miles
- provision of Early Learning and Childcare will continue as per current arrangements
Midlothian Council’s Cabinet Member for Education, Councillor Jim Muirhead said: “Glencorse Primary School’s roll is falling, there are now only a few pupils attending, with almost all of the children from this catchment area choosing to attend other schools. This proposal will bring educational benefits to the present and future users of the affected schools and assist in ensuring that the Education budget is more sustainable into the future. We have a statutory duty to consult formally on the proposal to close the school. We want to hear from as many local people as possible so please give us your views.”
Give us your views
The proposals and survey will be available on our consultations pages and from the affected schools.