Midcare alarm service
Telecare, also known as community alarms, provides peace of mind for individuals and their families 24 hours a day
It may help you to live independently in your own home, and allows a quick response if you need help.
Before applying for Telecare, complete a short self-check questionnaire to find out more.
The service is available to:
- anyone of any age who is disabled
- has a medical condition that would benefit from the service
- is vulnerable or frail
Ways to apply
- Apply for Midcare online
- or call us at the Adults and Social Care team on 0131 271 3900
- or print the Midcare self referral form (PDF) and return it to the Adults and Social Care team by post (address below)
What happens after you apply
A member of the Midcare team will contact you and arrange an assessment visit. If the service is suitable for you, Telecare (PDF) equipment will then be installed in your home according to your needs. You will need an active landline.
Is there a charge for the service?
The service costs £3.15 per week, paid quarterly in advance.
Responding to alerts
The control room receives the initial alerts from the equipment. The control room is staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- A nominated key holder, such as family/friend/neighbour, may be asked to help in an emergency
- A responder service based in Midlothian provides a back-up when required.
- If appropriate, your GP or the emergency services will be contacted.