Paying for care

Some people who receive Community Care services pay the full charge, and others can get financial assistance from Midlothian Council. The amount you pay depends on your financial circumstances.

To work out your contribution, we carry out a financial assessment. For this you need to tell us about:

  • your own income (and your partner/spouse’s income, if the service is shared)
  • your capital

You need to provide paperwork to support the information that you have given. For example we will need to see copies of:

  • The letter you received from the Department for Work & Pensions informing you about your benefits or pension
  • Current bank statements
  • Share certificates

Please note the sooner we get this information, the quicker we can assess the financial contribution you will have to make.

If you do not wish to disclose your financial details, you will have to pay the full charge for care. This excludes personal care if you are aged 65 or over.

Request a financial information form

If you, or your representative, need help to fill in the form, please contact your social worker or the Adult & Social Care Team.

Financial information form and notes

For more information please see our Charging policy (PDF).  The charging policy complies with COSLA's National Strategy and Guidance for Charges Applying to Non Residential Social Care Services, the National Assistance Act 1948 and the National Assistance (Assessment of Resources) Regulations 1992.