Personal Assistants

If you have been assessed as eligible for social work funding, you may choose to receive it through Option 1 of Self Directed Support (also known as a Direct Payment). You may use it to employ your own staff.

These staff members are known as Personal Assistants.

A Personal Assistant (PA) is someone who:

  • will work to meet your needs as described in your support plan.
  • is employed directly by you, the person they are supporting, not Midlothian Council.

The working hours, roles and tasks are unique to each case. They may include:

  • help to live a full, included and connected life
  • providing respite for a family
  • help with personal care
  • tenancy support.

Become a PA

Employ a PA