Personal Assistants

Employ a Personal Assistant (PA)

If you receive a Direct Payment for Self-Directed Support, you can employ a PA using the funds.

Some people listed here are already members of the Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme. In any case, we strongly recommend that you ask to see a new or updated PVG check before you employ someone. This will tell you the outcome of a criminal record check, and if the person is barred from regulated work.

Browse our directory of PAs

You do not need to only consider people from this list. Midlothian Council are not responsible for vetting candidates. You are responsible for making all necessary checks.

Getting advice

You can get advice with managing a Direct Payment, including hiring a PA, through our partner agency The Lothian Centre for Inclusive Living.

You can also advertise directly for staff or look for PA vacancies through their website.