Health services for children


For life-threatening illness or injuries please call:

  • 999

Please remember that Emergency Department / A&E and 999 services across NHS Lothian are for genuine emergency situations only.


Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh

Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Edinburgh

NHS 24

If your child is feeling ill when your doctor's surgery is closed and you feel you can't wait until it re-opens, call NHS 24. Calls are charged at a local rate.

The NHS Helpline can provide you with details of pharmacies, GP practices and dental practices across Midlothian.

They can also provide information about illnesses and conditions, treatments, NHS services and other support services.

NHS Inform

NHS Inform is a new national health information service. Providing a co-ordinated approach and a single source of quality assured health information for the public in Scotland.

How to register with a GP

To register with a GP in Midlothian please phone:

  • 0131 537 8424

For additional assistance registering with a GP, please call the above number or visit the NHS Lothian website:

Post Natal Depression Service

We offer these confidential services:

  • Individual or couples counselling
  • Group therapy
  • Art therapy
  • Counselling and support services
  • Baby massage classes
  • Creche facilities

Contact us:

Health Visitors

NHS Health Visitor teams provide information and advice to parents of children ages 0-5 years.

Child health clinics are run by health visitors and GPs. They offer regular baby health and development reviews and vaccinations. You can also talk about any problems to do with your child

If your child is ill and likely to need treatment, it's best to make an appointment to see your GP. Contact your local group to find out about the full range of services in your area.

Your Health Visitor can provide advice on:

  • The Lothian immunisation programme
  • Baby massage
  • Peep
  • Breastfeeding support group
  • Parent group
  • Paediatric resuscitation and choking training
  • Sleep problems
  • Eating/feeding problems
  • Bed wetting/potty training
  • Tantrums/behavioural problems 
  • Any other issues of concern to parents of young children.

Contact details for children's health services in Midlothian

Speech and language therapists

If you are concerned about your child's speech, language or communication skills, or their eating, drinking and swallowing, call:

  • 0131 454 9544 on Tuesdays 1pm to 4pm.

This will help us decide what help would suit the child or young person. This could be:

  • Support and tailored advice for parents, carers and family
  • Consultation and advice with education staff
  • Signposting to resources and approaches that would support the child/young person
  • Modelling activities for the family and education staff to use to support communication
  • Assessment and direct support for the child or young person, individually or as part of a group.

Related Downloads