Register a death
Emergency changes to Registration Service
Please read the details of the changes:
Death registrations are being carried out remotely. You will not be required to visit a registration office
Note: The law allows a death to be registered in any registration district in Scotland.
Please read the following guidelines.
- if you have had a bereaavement or still birth the certifying doctor will email the Medical Certificate Cause of Death or Still Birth Certificate along with your contact details to the registration service. You may also be asked if you would like to receive a copy.
- As soon we have received the Medical Certificate Cause of Death or Still Birth Certificate from the medical team a member of our staff will make contact with the informant given to us by the medical team.
- We will explain the process for registration to you at this point. If you could have any relevant documents to hand at this time. i.e.birth, marriage and/or civil partnership certificates
- You will be given the opportunity to pre pay for any certificate(s) you may require.
The entire registration process will be completed over the telephone.
Tell Us Once
You will be offered a unique reference number and contact link to Tell Us Once. This is a free service we use to notify government departments, including Department for Work and Pensions and services in the council.
Documents we will issue
We will provide:
- an abbreviated death certificate (if you require a full certificate for legal purposes,this has a fee of £10.00 per extract)
- Form 14 for funeral director will be emailed directly to the undertaker you request.
- registration privacy notice (tells you what happens to the personal information you provided)
- resource list of local and national services that can support bereavement and other services that can help with health and wellbeing
If you do not use the Tell Us Once service you must inform the Department for Work and Pensions directly to stop any payments,
For more information please visit National Records of Scotland website.
Death Certification Review
The Death Certification Review service checks on the accuracy of a sample of MCCDs.
If the MCCD is selected, the registration cannot be completed until the review is finished. The registrar will contact you when the review is completed.
More information is on the Healthcare Improvement Scotland website.