Arranging a marriage

Requirements for getting married


Everyone getting married must complete an M10 form (PDF).

Each couple must also complete one Witness form (PDF).

You will also need original:

  • birth certificates
  • proof of address for both applicants
  • passports (if born after 01/01/1983)

If you have been married or in a civil partnership before, you must submit proof this has ended by providing original:

  • divorce decree/dissolution of civil partnership
  • or a death certificate of your former spouse or civil partner
  • or a completed divorce questionnaire if divorce granted in a country outwith the UK.

All documents you submit must be originals and will be returned to you. We cannot accept photocopies or scanned copies.

Non UK nationals

If you are subject to marriage laws outwith the UK you may also need to provide:

  • a Certificate of No Impediment (CONI). Contact the registrar for further information.

If you are subject to immigration control you should also complete a Declaration of Immigration Status form.

Contact the UK border agency for advice on entry requirements to the UK under immigration rules for marriage and civil partnerships.

If your documents are not in English, you must provide a certified translation along with the original documents.

Other information

You should also ensure you bring:

  • an email address and contact telephone number
  • appropriate fees

When and how to submit paperwork

You need to submit the paperwork 10 to 12 weeks before the date of the ceremony. However if you are a non EEA national we recommend that you give three months notice. The minimum period is 29 clear days before the date of the ceremony.

Our office operates an appointment system, or you can submit the forms by post. Please remember to send all accompanying documents and fees.

Midlothian registrar

Fairfield House
8 Lothian Road, Dalkeith
Midlothian, EH22 3AA

0131 271 3281

Further information on getting married in Scotland can be found on the National Records of Scotland website.

Civil ceremony

Popular venues

We have a list of venues in Midlothian which are already approved for ceremonies:

First check the availability of the venue and then confirm with the registrar's office that staff will be available to perform the ceremony.

Alternative venues

You can also have your ceremony at a venue of your choice as long as a location assessment is done beforehand. There is a fee of £53.00 for this service. The registrar will visit the venue to assess its suitability. Contact us on the details below for more information.

Religious ceremony

If you are being married by a religious celebrant or other belief system, submit the paperwork as above and then contact the celebrant of your choice when you know where and when it is you want to marry. You will need to collect the marriage schedule from the registrar's office the week of your wedding.

Conversion of a Civil Partnership to marriage

If you are already in a Civil Partnership and wish to convert this to a Same Sex Marriage, please contact the registrar's office to book an appointment. You will need:

  • a completed application form
  • your Civil Partnership certificate
  • a form of identification for both parties.

If you wish to convert to a marriage through a ceremony, please follow information from the top of this page.

Related Downloads