- Make a suggestion, compliment or complaint
- Download the Midlothian Council complaint handling procedure for customers (PDF)
- Download annual reports on our complaints performance
- Download our Customer Service Charter (PDF)
How we will respond to your complaint
Stage 1 - Frontline resolution
When you contact us we will aim to resolve your complaint. If we can't resolve it at this stage, we will explain why and tell you what you can do next.
We will give you our decision in 5 working days or less, unless there are exceptional circumstances.
If your complaint is about education please contact the child's school first.
Stage 2 - Investigation
Unresolved complaints at stage 1, or complex complaints requiring a detailed investigation are called stage 2 complaints.
- acknowledge receipt of your complaint within 3 working days
- discuss your complaint with you to understand why you remain dissatisfied and what outcome you are looking for
- give you a full response to the complaint as soon as possible and within 20 working days
We will tell you if our investigation is going to take longer than 20 working days and will agree a revised date with you.
Your complaint will be kept confidential. Details will only be given to those people who need to know in order to investigate your complaint.
6 month time limit
You must make your complaint within 6 months of:
- the event you want to complain about, or
- finding out that you have a reason to complain
If you feel that the time limit should not apply to your complaint, please tell us why.
If you are still not satisfied
If you are unhappy with the way we dealt with your complaint, contact the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman.