Apply for a council house
Complete a Housing application form (PDF) for either housing or sheltered housing. Anyone aged 16 or over can apply for a house.
You only need to complete one form to be housed by either the Council or Melville Housing Association. We have a Common Housing Register with Melville Housing Association.
We cannot process an application without a signature. Please ensure you sign the form before returning it to us.
What happens next
The date we receive your application and any supporting evidence will be the day that you join the housing waiting list.
We will write to you with the result of your application. We aim to do this within 28 days, but it may take longer if we need to ask you for more information.
To find out how houses are allocated download our Housing Allocation Policy (PDF).
Change in circumstances
If your circumstances change, or you wish to change your application form after handing it in, you must complete a Change of circumstances form (PDF) as soon as possible.
Let us know if you:
- move house (if we can't contact you, we will remove you from the waiting list)
- move into a private rented property
- have a baby.
You can choose as many areas as you wish when applying for housing. The housing areas shown on the map of council housing (PDF) are:
- Auchendinny including Glencorse
- North Middleton
- Penicuik East
- Penicuik West
Help us improve our siteHaving problems submitting this form?
- Housing Allocation
- Housing application
- Mutual Exchange application
- Housing map
- Housing Benefit and Council Tax reduction claim form
- Tenants Today
- Temporary Times
- Annual Return on the Social Housing Charter
- Tenant Participation and Customer Engagement Strategy
- Tenant Satisfaction Survey 2014 results
- Resident led estate walkabouts 2018
- Midlothian Tenant Panel poster