Apply for a council house

Complete a Housing application form (PDF) for either housing or sheltered housing. Anyone aged 16 or over can apply for a house.

You only need to complete one form to be housed by either the Council or Melville Housing Association. We have a Common Housing Register with Melville Housing Association.

What happens next

The date we receive your application and any supporting evidence will be the day that you are accepted on to the housing waiting list.

We will write to you with the result of your application. We aim to do this within 28 days, but it may take longer if we need to ask you for more information.

To find out how houses are allocated, please contact the housing team.

Change in circumstances

If your circumstances change, or you wish to change your application form after it has been handed in, you must complete a Change of circumstances form (PDF) as soon as possible. Let us know if you:

  • move house (if we can't contact you, you will be removed from the waiting list)
  • move into a private rented property
  • have a baby.

Housing areas

You can choose as many areas as you wish when applying for housing. The housing areas shown on the map of council housing (PDF) are:

  • Auchendinny including Glencorse
  • Bilston
  • Bonnyrigg/Lasswade
  • Carrington
  • Cousland
  • Dalkeith
  • Danderhall
  • Gorebridge
  • Loanhead
  • Mayfield/Easthouses
  • Newtongrange
  • North Middleton
  • Pathhead
  • Penicuik East
  • Penicuik West
  • Poltonhall
  • Roslin
  • Rosewell
  • Temple