Council housing repairs
To request a repair:
- email [email protected]
- call us on 0131 663 7211
Issues which put the health, safety or security of you or others at immediate risk or which affects or is likely to adversely affect the structure of the building should be reported immediately by calling 0131 663 7211.
Before and during a repair
We would expect you to:
- act to prevent further damage once a fault has been identified
- clear the area around the repair before we arrive. This may include lifting carpets, floor coverings including laminate flooring, clearing cupboards, moving furniture (if we have to do this we may charge you)
- keep children and pets away from the repair area.
Gas safety checks
By law the council is responsible for carrying out an annual gas service and safety check in your property.
You must allow us access to do this. We will contact you five weeks before to discuss when the engineer will call.
If we fail to gain access after 3 attempts, a process to arrange forced entry will begin.
If you have installed any gas appliances, you are responsible for ensuring they operate properly. If during the check we find any problems, the appliance will need to be capped and you will be charged.
For more information, see your Tenants Handbook (PDF).
Right to Repair
The Right to Repair Scheme means we will pay you compensation if we don't meet the required timescales for some repairs. Right to repair scheme repairs must:
- have an estimated value of £350 or less
- be a 'Qualifying Repair'.
You can find more information on the Right to Repair scheme page.
Repairs you are responsible for
As a tenant you are responsible for these maintenance/minor repairs:
Within the property
- The fittings you have installed or accepted at the start of the tenancy such things as laminate flooring, carpets, shelves, built in furniture etc
- Fitting additional locks and their repair
- Bleeding radiators
- Resetting tripped switches and replacing fuses
- Clearing blockages in the plumbing up to and including the trap
- Regular testing smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Repair of handles and locks on the internal doors
- Repairing minor cracks and holes in walls and ceilings that can be filled before decoration
- All internal decoration
- Television aerials and reception equipment except where it is fitted by us.
Outside the property
- Grounds and garden area designated to the property
- Fences, gates driveways and garden structures not erected by the council - you could have a shared responsibility.
Although we are not responsible for any infestation of vermin, we do have a Pest Control Service which can carry out the work for you for a charge.
Call us on 0131 561 5284 or email [email protected].
During your tenancy
At the start of the tenancy we will provide the following, but thereafter you will be responsible for:
- light bulbs and tubes
- plugs and chains to baths, sinks and basins
- external door numbers
- draught excluders kitchen vinyl floor covering, if fitted
- other floor coverings.
For more information on repairs, see the Tenants Handbook (PDF).
Help us improve our siteHaving problems submitting this form?
- Housing Allocation
- Housing application
- Housing map
- Housing Benefit and Council Tax reduction claim form
- Tenants Today
- Temporary Times
- Annual Return on the Social Housing Charter
- Tenant Participation and Customer Engagement Strategy
- Tenant Satisfaction Survey 2014 results
- Resident led estate walkabouts 2018
- Midlothian Tenant Panel poster
- Midlothian Tenants Day 2018 poster
- Resident led estate walkabouts 2019