Cycling in Midlothian
Cycling is one of the most affordable, environmentally-friendly, and healthiest ways of travelling. It can often be the quickest form of transport. Whether for commuting, leisure, or sport, cycling is an enjoyable activity that keeps you fit, gets you from A to B Quickly and cheaply and is suitable for all ages and abilities.
Midlothian has many designated cycleways.
- Midlothian cycle map (PDF)
- Recreational cycle routes in Midlothian
- Town walking and cycling maps
- Cycling fact sheet (PDF)
How to check your bike
Road cycling positions for leisure and commuting
This short video explains the two road positions for cyclists to adopt to stay safe and visible.
- Cycling is the third most popular recreational activity in the UK.
- An estimated 3.1 million people ride a bicycle each month.
- It is one of the easiest ways to fit exercise into your daily routine because it is also a form of transport.
- Cycling is a low impact form of exercise, so it's easier on your joints than running or other high impact aerobic activities. But it still gets you in shape.
- Cycling is good for the environment, helping reduce air and noise pollution and traffic congestion.
Help us improve our siteHaving problems submitting this form?
- Blue Badge documents
- Borders Railway maps
- Road safety and action plans
- Transport Strategy
- Cycle Midlothian - bike friendly places
- Cycling fact sheet
- Midlothian Council Travel Plan
- Bus network maps
- Let's Rock road traffic restrictions
- 2 SCOTS
- Road restrictions - Stobhill Recycling Centre reopening
- Spaces for People: Sustrans bid
- Fala Dam
- Spaces for People