What's on over the summer holidays
Snowsports at Hillend
- Tubing Pay 'n' Play
Until 17 August, 10am - 5pm
£8.20 (Junior) and £10.20 (Adult) for one hour. Buy tickets on the day.
Free swimming for under 18s
Monday to Friday, 10:30am to 4:30pm (last entry 3:30).
- Sessions are 1 hour and for Midlothian residents only.
- Over 16s must be in full time education (proof required).
- Sessions with inflatables or Aqua Aerobics are still chargeable.
- Pool rules for under 8's apply.
Contact the centre reception for more details.
Active Midlothian summer programme
For kids of all ages: multi-sports, football, rugby, snowsports and diving camps; tubing sessions; swimming lessons and free swimming; Teenzone sessions; and a National Pool Life Guard Qualification course.
Lifelong learning courses and activities
There is a range of classes and activities on offer over summer for adults and families including crafts, pottery and tennis:
Our summer fun programme also lists free courses in Lasswade and Penicuik:
Tyne Valley, Vogrie Country Park
Ranger Service events
- Guided walks, pond dipping, shelter making and much more
- Midlothian Outdoor Festival 2018: 4 to 12 August
Summer Reading Challenge - read 6 books over the holidays
Mischief Makers is inspired by the Beano, now 80 years old.
If you're in primary school, read any 6 books, as long as you borrow them from the library. Get a reward for each book you finish, and a certificate when you complete the Challenge. You'll be entered in a draw to win a family fun-day pass to various Midlothian locations, and there's a chance to win a bike too!
The 'Wild about Scotland' bus is visiting our libraries
Bringing you the wonder of Scotland's wildlife. No need to book: just turn up between 10:00 and 3:00pm:
- Loanhead Library: Friday 20 July
- Newbattle Library: Friday 3 August
- Penicuik Library: Thursday 16 August
Events at your local library
- Dalkeith Library
- Danderhall Library
- Gorebridge Library
- Lasswade Library
- Loanhead Library
- Newbattle Library
- Newtongrange Library
- Penicuik Library
- Roslin Library
Dalkeith Country Park
More stuff to do in Midlothian
- Have you seen the attractions in Midlothian that are open all year?
- Events page on Visit Midlothian
- Eating out: restaurant listing on Visit Midlothian