Development plans and policies
The current development plan for Midlothian
The current development plan for Midlothian is made up of two plans:
- The Midlothian Local Development Plan, adopted 7 November 2017.
- National Planning Framework for Scotland 4, adopted 13 February 2023.
What is the Midlothian Local Development Plan?
The 2017 Midlothian Local Development Plan sets out the development strategy for Midlothian. It sets out the detailed policies used to determine planning applications in Midlothian.
Action Programme 2017, updated 2020
The Action Programme is a list of actions required to deliver each of the policies and proposals in the Midlothian Local Development Plan. It also identifies appropriate parties or organisations to carry out these actions, and provides an indicative timescale. The original Action Programme is from 2017, and was updated in 2020 (approved by Council 2021):
Development Plan Scheme
The Development Plan Scheme (DPS) contains the timetable for preparing the next development plan. It sets out the Council's proposed engagement activity. The current DPS considers Midlothian's second Local Development Plan, and seeks feedback on the Council's proposed engagement activity.
Help us improve our siteHaving problems submitting this form?
- Planning enforcement
- Planning advice and guidance
- Midlothian Local Plan (2008) (superseded)
- Landscape Capacity Study for Wind Turbine Development
- MLDP Report of Examination
- MLDP Associated Documents
- MLDP Approved Supplementary Guidance
- Special Landscape Areas
- Employment Land Audit
- Planning service update
- Planning Performance Framework 2022 - 2023