How to submit electronic documents on the eBuilding Standards portal

Complete an Application for Temporary Occupation or Use

These are guidance notes for submitting on the online portal.

1. To add a blank 'Application for Temporary Occupation or Use' form:

2. Under 'Draft Forms', select 'Application for Temporary Occupation or Use '.

Select application for temporary occupation or use

3. To begin the 'Application for Temporary Occupation or Use', select the link 'Main Details'.

Select main details

4. Answer the questions for the 5 sections 'Main Details', 'Supporting Documentation', 'Email Notification', 'Checklist' and 'Declaration'.

Helpful hints:

a) Main Details

  1. You can only apply for a Temporary Occupation or Use if you can answer 'No' to the question 'Does the building warrant consist solely of alterations to an existing building?'.
  2. You will need to know your Building Warrant reference number, which looks something like 18/00999/BDAL. You can find your Building Warrant Reference number and date of issue on your Building Warrant.
  3. An Amendment of Building Warrant is needed when your design changes significantly from your approved Building Warrant.
  4. The Duly Authorised Agent (if you had one) is the person who drew up your plans and submitted your Building Warrant application.

b) Supporting Documentation (if needed)

  1. There are rules about the size of electronic files and orientation of documents that you need to follow:
  • Each electronic file must be no larger than 5Mb.
  • You can supply up to 100Mb in total for all supporting files.
  • Drawings to be viewed as landscape should be supplied as landscape.
  • If you do not know the paper size, choose 'Not Applicable'.

5. When you have completed the 5 sections, you will see 5 green ticks. Press the 'Next' button.

Complete 5 green ticks

6. You are now ready to send in your application. Select 'I Accept' and then 'Submit'.

Select I accept and submit

7. You will now see a 'Success! Your 'Application for Temporary Occupation or Use has been submitted'.

You will also receive an email from advising that your proposal has been sent to Midlothian Council.


8. Select 'Back to Proposal Summary' and you will see your 'Application for Temporary Occupation or Use' listed under 'Submitted Forms'.

Back to proposal