How to submit electronic documents on the eBuilding Standards portal

Complete a Completion Certificate and Additional Supporting Documents

These are guidance notes for submitting on the online portal.

1. To add a blank Completion Certificate form:

2. Under 'Draft Forms', select 'Completion Certificate'.

Select completion certificate

3. To begin the 'Completion Certificate', select the link 'Main Details'.

Select main details

4. Answer the questions for the 4 sections 'Main Details', 'Supporting Documentation', 'Email Notification' and 'Declaration'.

Helpful hints:

a) Main Details - always needed

  1. You will need to know your Building Warrant reference number, which looks something like 18/00999/BDAL. You can find your Building Warrant Reference number and date of issue on your Building Warrant.
  2. The Duly Authorised Agent (if you had one) is the person who drew up your plans and submitted your Building Warrant application.
  3. The relevant person is usually the person with overall responsibility for authorising the work in the first place, such as the homeowner, tenant or building owner. The relevant person is also accountable for the completed work. The relevant person is not the builder who undertook the work for you.
  4. The details of the building owner must be provided as the owner has to be informed by Midlothian Council Building Standards if a completion certificate is accepted or rejected.

b) Main Details - sometimes needed

  1. An Amendment of Building Warrant is needed when your design changes significantly from your approved Building Warrant.
  2. If any legal notices have been served on the building, provide details.
  3. A relaxation is when a person applies to Scottish Ministers to relax or dispense with a provision of the building regulations.
  4. Certificate of Construction - scheme members (usually electricians and plumbers) undertake work and issue certification for electrical installations and/or drainage/heating/plumbing.
  5. Certificate of Design - scheme members (usually structural engineers and energy assessors) design and issue certification for the Structures and/or the Energy components of your building work.
  6. If relevant, a Notice of Finalisation (Form Q) is issued by a Certifier of Design (usually a structural engineer).
  7. An EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) is required for new buildings.
  8. A statement of sustainability is required for new buildings.
  9. A Fire Safety Design Summary is required for new non-domestic buildings.
  10. If relevant, a Continuing requirement is where your building warrant has ongoing requirements attached to it.

c) Supporting Documentation (if needed)

There are rules about the size of electronic files and orientation of documents that you need to follow:

  • Each electronic file must be no larger than 5Mb.
  • You can supply up to 100Mb in total for all supporting files.
  • Drawings to be viewed as landscape should be supplied as landscape.
  • If you do not know the paper size, choose 'Not Applicable'.

5. When you have completed the 4 sections, you will see 4 green ticks. Press the 'Next' button.

Complete 4 green ticks

6. You are now ready to send in your application. Select 'I Accept' and then 'Submit'.

Submission summary preview

7. You will now see a 'Success! Your Completion Certificate has been submitted'.

You will also receive an email from advising that your proposal has been sent to Midlothian Council.


8. Select 'Back to Proposal Summary' and you will see your 'Completion Certificate' listed under 'Submitted Forms'.

Back to proposal