Organising an event
You must have all relevant licences and permissions in place before a public event. We recommend you apply for licences as early as possible. This should be at least 12 weeks before the event.
Before you start planning your event, think about what may be needed. Here are the most common licences required for public events:
|Public Entertainment Licence
|Premises or location is used for public entertainment, i.e. where the public is admitted or may use any facilities for entertainment. Important: read about road closures, traffic controls and signage.
|You sell alcohol from unlicensed premises or other location.
|Street Trader's Licence
|Anyone (age 17+) sells articles or services in a public place. Not required if you hold a Market Operator's or Public Entertainment Licence.
|Market Operator's Licence
|Putting on a private market, e.g. farmers' market with more than one seller.
|You plan to show films more than 6 times a year. Public Entertainment Licence also required.
|Public Charitable Collection Licence
|There are any charity collections in a public place.
Help us improve our siteHaving problems submitting this form?
- Animal licences
- Alcohol licences
- House of multiple occupation
- Cinema licences
- Hypnotism licences
- Employing a schoolchild
- Child performance licence
- Knives and swords
- Late hours catering licences
- Market operators licences
- Metal dealers licences
- Public charitable collections licences
- Sex shop licences
- Ear piercing licences
- Street trader licences
- Hire car licences
- Midlothian Licensing Forum papers
- Midlothian Licensing Forum
- Road occupation permit application forms
- Road excavation application forms and specifications
- Tables and chairs application form
- Application forms to construct a new road
- Tattooing and skin piercing licences
- Midlothian Licensing Board
- Wheeled Bin Cleaner Licence
- 2018 Midlothian Profile of alcohol related harm
- Application for Window Cleaner's Licence
- Temporary public entertainment licence application
- Application for Occasional Licence
- Air weapons licence
- Application for Grant or Renewal of Private Hire Car Driver's Licence, October 2023
- Application - Taxi Drivers Licence - Grant or Renewal, October 2023
- Hire Car Booking Office Licence, October 2023
- Metal Dealer Application, October 2023
- Metal Dealer (Itinerant) Application, October 2023