Organising an event

Road closures, traffic controls and signage

Traffic barriers, road cones and signage

If traffic barriers, road cones or signage are needed, you should request this as part of your public entertainment licence application. You will need permission from us to put advertising and direction signs on the public roads. We will assess your application and cost it for the service we will provide.

Road closures

We need to know if an event requires a road closure for a procession, rally or race on a public road. The Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 allows us to close roads if we or the Police deem it necessary.

We will ask you to work with us and the Police to show that you can manage this. We will need to see your risk assessment and event plan showing the procession and diversion routes, and steward/police locations.

For events that use or cross the A702, A68 or A720 then you must contact BEAR as well.

Email for a traffic regulation order application form. You must include with your application:

  • a risk assessment
  • an event plan
  • an ‘Intimation of the Intention to Hold a Public Procession’ form.

Apply at least 28 days before the event. We can’t guarantee to process a late submission, and you may face legal action if the event goes ahead without the necessary permissions.

Tell us about your event