Development plans and policies
The current development plan for Midlothian
Midlothian Planning Service COVID-19 Service Update
The current development plan for Midlothian is made up of two plans:
- The Midlothian Local Development Plan, adopted 7 November 2017.
- National Planning Framework for Scotland 4, adopted 13 February 2023.
National Planning Framework for Scotland 4
What is the Midlothian Local Development Plan?
The 2017 Midlothian Local Development Plan sets out the development strategy for Midlothian. It sets out the detailed policies used to determine planning applications in Midlothian.
The 2017 Local Development Plan on the Midlothian Development Plan Portal
Midlothian Local Development Plan interactive map
Action Programme 2017, updated 2020
The Action Programme is a list of actions required to deliver each of the policies and proposals in the Midlothian Local Development Plan. It also identifies appropriate parties or organisations to carry out these actions, and provides an indicative timescale. The original Action Programme is from 2017, and was updated in 2020 (approved by Council 2021):
MLDP Action Programme 2017, updated 2020
Development Plan Scheme
The Development Plan Scheme (DPS) contains the timetable for preparing the next development plan. It sets out the Council's proposed engagement activity. The current DPS considers Midlothian's second Local Development Plan, and seeks feedback on the Council's proposed engagement activity.
Help us improve our siteHaving problems submitting this form?
- Planning enforcement
- Planning advice and guidance
- Midlothian Local Plan (2008) (superseded)
- Planning Performance Framework Report
- Landscape Capacity Study for Wind Turbine Development
- MLDP Report of Examination
- MLDP Associated Documents
- Planning Performance Framework reports
- MLDP Approved Supplementary Guidance
- Special Landscape Areas
- Employment Land Audit
- Planning service update
- Planning Performance Framework 2021 - 2022