Archaeological open day at historic Penicuik churchyard
Penicuik’s historic St. Mungo’s Churchyard is the venue for a special archaeological open day on Saturday 25 May 2019.
Organised by Penicuik Heritage Regeneration and Archaeology Scotland, the open day will give visitors the opportunity to learn more about the importance of the churchyard and the valuable record it provides on the early development of the town.
Basics of archaeology
The half-hour archaeology sessions start at 10am with the last at 2pm. As well as introducing the basics of archaeology, the sessions will allow participants to find out more about the importance of the built heritage around them.
St. Mungo’s Churchyard is the final resting place for members of the historically significant Cowan and Clerk families. It also houses remains of the 18th century tower and walls of the original St Kentigern’s Church, as well as the Clerk family mausoleum.
Intriguingly, the original church remains hint at a history that extends beyond religious matters – in 1887 the vault on the ground floor was used as a cell to incarcerate petty criminals for the evening before they could be transported elsewhere.
To find out more and to book a place, go to: