Support for adults with physical disabilities
We have a range of services that can support you, and we work closely with the NHS, voluntary organisations and independent providers.
We may also be able to support someone if they provide care for you.
Support with everyday tasks
Our Adults and Community Care team can support you with every day tasks such as preparing meals, going to the bathroom, getting dressed and staying safe. We support people at significant risk of harm. You can request an assessment to see if we can help.
- Advice about equipment and adaptations for your home such as ramps, rails, stairlifts, accessible showers and hoists.
- Advice about moving to an adapted home (PDF)
- Support in an emergency with Midcare alarms and sensors
- Help at Home
Money - benefits and employment
Our Welfare Rights team can offer advice and benefits checks and our Communities and Lifelong Learning team can support you to find a job or training.
- Advice and help to apply for benefits
- Apply for a reduction of your Council tax if you have a substantial and permanent disability.
- Advice and support finding employment, education or training
Our Travel team has a range of schemes to support you including:
- Apply for a protected parking space outside your home
- Apply for a Blue Badge
- Apply for free travel on buses
- Apply for a Thistle Assistance card or app
Other local schemes:
Sports and Leisure
Our Sports and Leisure teams have information about accessible facilities and activities.
- Lasswade and Loanhead leisure centres have accessible changing areas, pool hoists and wheelchair friendly Tonezone equipment.
- Midlothian Active Choices offers a range of supported leisure activities.
- Apply for an Access to Midlothian Card for free or reduced rates at Sports and Leisure centres.
Other local schemes:
- Lothian Disability sport has accessible sports activities including cycling, climbing, athletics, football and tennis.
- Euan’s Guide has accessibility reviews of venues like tourist attractions, restaurants and hotels.