Inter-school Athletics - Winners
The Midlothian Primary and Secondary Athletics Championships took place recently at the Dalkeith Schools Campus. These interschool athletics competitions included track and field events and attracted a wide number of participants from the majority of schools in the area.
Midlothian Active Schools
The Midlothian Active Schools team organised and ran these events with the support of school staff, senior pupils, and volunteers from Lasswade Athletics Club who provide a local pathway for talented athletes.
- Lasswade High School won the Midlothian Secondary Schools Athletics Trophy.
- Sacred Heart Primary won the Primary Athletics Championships for schools with less than 200 pupils. They received the Headmasters Trophy.
- Mauricewood Primary won the Primary Athletics Championships for schools of more than 200 pupils. They won the Armstrong Cup trophy. This year a record number of 22 primary schools participated in both these primary events.
Active Schools Co-ordinator Carolyn Cameron said: “We saw some excellent performances at the championships. I am delighted to see so many young people taking part in these sports. We are constantly trying to encourage more participation in sport and the Midlothian Primary and Secondary Athletics Championships show how able Midlothian pupils are. I hope the competitors continue to stay fit and enjoy and compete in sport.”
Cllr Jim Muirhead, Cabinet Member with responsibility for Education said: "There were some great performances from both primary and secondary pupils at these championships. I hope that this opportunity inspires some of these young people to continue their interest in athletics and also encourages them to use the excellent facilities across Midlothian to help them live more active and healthier lives."
There are plenty of opportunities for young people to try out different sports and activities through the Active Schools programme using the excellent facilities across Midlothian.
- For more information on Active Schools
- Follow the team on Twitter @Active_Mid.