'Food Glorious Food', Mayfield and Easthouses
Midlothian Council and NHS Lothian have jointly allocated a total of £16,000 for this project in Mayfield and Easthouses. The project supports groups that work primarily to improve health, by promoting:
- healthy eating
- community growing schemes
- other activities to do with food.
Mayfield and Easthouses residents have voted.
Around 200 people attended the ‘decision day’ in Mayfield Church Hall on 20 May. 151 residents decided which groups would receive funding by casting 3 votes each.
Among the projects that got the green light were:
- Mayfield PS Parent Council whose project will provide cooking classes for children in Primary 7, who will develop the life skills to prepare healthy meals.
- Mayfield and Easthouses Parent & Toddler Group will encourage pre-school children to have a healthier diet by introducing them to the taste of a variety of fruits. During school holidays, siblings will also be involved in the project and given responsibility for preparing healthy snacks, fresh fruit and fruit-based ‘smoothies’.
- Mayfield Church Holiday Club. The ‘Healthy families in the holidays’ project runs family-focussed activities during the summer holidays. Many families who use the project are on low household incomes. The project will provide food resources. Families will work together, developing skills and knowledge in preparing and cooking healthy nutritious food.
The successful groups were presented with their cheque at the Gala day in June.
The aim of this initiative was to close the outcome gap in health, learning, and economic circumstances. It enabled Mayfield and Easthouses residents to be involved directly in allocating resources within their own community.
To find out more, contact Paul Johnson, Communities Officer:
- 0131 270 5675 or 07786 215991
- Mayfield and Easthouses funding criteria (PDF)
Help us improve our siteHaving problems submitting this form?
- Community Planning structure and profile
- Neighbourhood plans
- Neighbourhood profiles
- Single Midlothian Plan
- Community directories
- Corporate Parent Strategy
- Armed Forces Community Covenant
- Community Planning - Strategic Assessment
- Participatory budgeting
- Action Plans
- Community Asset Transfer - council properties
- Annual development day papers 2017