Litter and street cleaning
It is against the law for anyone who is responsible for a dog to not clean up after the dog has fouled.
They face a fixed penalty fine of £80. The fine increases to £100 if it is not paid within 28 days. The maximum fine is £500 if convicted of an offence.
Please contact us if people are letting their dogs foul in your area.
To help us investigate and target warden patrols, please tell us:
- where and when fouling is happening
- the dog owner's name and address, if you know it
- what the dog looks like, including breed and colour
- your own contact details
Promoting responsible dog ownership
We are keen to promote responsible dog ownership. We do this by:
- telling dog owners about their responsibilities
- taking enforcement action against offenders
- giving talks to primary school children
- putting dog waste bins at various places throughout Midlothian
- putting up "No Fouling" signs.