Our recycling performance
- Our household waste recycling rate was 47.3%
- We sent 12.3% (all pre-treated) of household waste to landfill. This was:
- non-target materials collected in blue bins
- packaging collected with food waste
- fine materials and items unsuitable for recycling or incineration in the bulky waste at the two Recycling Centres
- ash from incineration of grey bin / black bag waste and of non-recyclable bulky waste.
The Scottish Government publishes data on all waste generated and managed in Scotland. Our 2022 recycling rate will be available around October 2023.
Scotland’s Zero Waste Plan establishes a vision for a Zero Waste Society. It is supported by climate change legislation including:
- powers to tackle the climate impacts of waste
- the Waste (Scotland) Regulations 2012
- the national Zero Waste Scotland delivery programme.
The Zero Waste Plan proposes that discarded materials are treated as a resource rather than a waste, and sets out the following key targets:
- Recycle 60% of household waste by 2020
- A ban on biodegradable waste to landfill by 31 December 2020
- Recycle 70% of all waste by 2025
- Reduce the waste disposed of to landfill to a maximum of 5% by 2025
Is there anything wrong with this page?