Our recycling performance
- Our household waste recycling rate was 47.2%
- We landfilled 11.5% of household waste
- Recycling diversion at Stobhill Recycling Centre was 47.9%
- Recycling diversion at Penicuik Recycling Centre was 42.6%
The Scottish Government publishes data on all waste generated and managed in Scotland. Our 2021 recycling rate will be available around September 2022.
Scotland’s Zero Waste Plan establishes a vision for a Zero Waste Society. It is supported by climate change legislation including powers to tackle the climate impacts of waste, the Waste (Scotland) Regulations 2012, and the national Zero Waste Scotland delivery programme.
The Zero Waste Plan proposes that discarded materials are treated as a resource rather than a waste, and sets out the following key targets:
- Recycle 60% of household waste by 2020
- A ban on biodegradable waste to landfill by 31 December 2020
- Recycle 70% of all waste by 2025
- Reduce the waste disposed of to landfill to a maximum of 5% by 2025