Where your recycling goes
- Your garden waste is taken to a local facility for composting.
- It is piled in large rows called 'windrows' to allow naturally occurring bacteria to break down the garden waste.
- The windrows are turned regularly. This ensures that the heat produced by the bacteria is spread evenly through the pile, killing any weed seeds that might be present.
- The end material is then sieved to produce soil improver, which is bagged for sale. You can buy this from Caledonia Horticulture.
- Commercial users of this compost are local sport and leisure services.
Glass recycling box
- Your glass bottles and jars are taken to a local facility for processing.
- Bottles and jars are used to make a sand filtration product.
- The contents of your blue bin are sent to a Materials Recycling Facility.
- The items are placed on a conveyor belt where different materials are separated in different ways.
- First paper and card is separated by a machine with a fast rotating drum, then huge magnets pull out your tin cans.
- Aluminium cans, foil and aerosol cans are separated by a machine called an Eddy Current Separator.
- Plastics and cardboard move on down the line to an Optical Scanning System which recognises the plastics and blows them away for baling with a blast of air.
- The heavier cardboard moves on down to the end of the line where it falls into its own bins for baling.
- The separated materials are then sold on end processors. The destination of specific materials can vary depending on the market conditions at any given time.
- Only very small items and materials not suitable for recycling are left. These are sent for Energy-from-Waste.
- Your food waste is taken to a local Anaerobic Digester.
- Naturally occurring bacteria break down the waste generating heat which is converted into energy.
- The residue is used as an agricultural fertiliser.
- The contents of your grey bins are delivered to a local Energy-from-Waste facility.
- Waste is burnt with the heat used to drive a steam turbine to generate electricity.
- Scrap metal is removed by magnets for recycling.
- A future plan is to use the residual heat in local housing.
Is there anything wrong with this page?