Household waste recycling centres
We only accept waste from Midlothian households. So we may ask for proof of identity and residence, such as a driving licence, council tax or utility bill.
If you visit the Recycling Centre in a private car, you do not need to make an appointment.
Visiting the recycling centres
- Check the layout plan before you visit Stobhill.
- On arrival, tell the staff what type of waste you have brought. They will direct you to a zone where you can off load your waste.
- Only one vehicle at time is allowed in each zone, using a one way system.
- You must stay within your zone. If you need to dispose of waste in another zone, you must drive there.
- Only enter a disposal zone once the previous vehicle has left the area.
- Staff cannot help you unload your vehicle. Only bring what you can lift/carry yourself.
Stobhill Recycling Centre
- Separate your waste into different materials before coming to the site. This will make it quicker and easier to place in the correct skip.
- Staff will control access to facilities, and limit the number of vehicles on site.
- Please be patient and respectful to site staff, and follow all their directions. We will not tolerate abuse of our staff.
- Remain in your vehicle until you are ready to unload your waste.
- A maximum of 2 people are allowed out of the vehicle to unload items.
- You will have to offload your own waste. To keep social distancing, staff cannot help with this.
- You must not enter a container to retrieve or remove any type of material.
- You can only dispose of rubble/plasterboard/ceramics at Stobhill Recycling Centre. Only 4 refuse sacks of rubble can be disposed of on a visit
- Only 1 of each type of large kitchen appliance can be disposed of on a visit.
- We only accept domestic kitchen appliances, not commercial or trade appliances. More details.
- Children and animals must stay in vehicles at all times.
- There is no pedestrian access.
The Reuse Cabin is now open for the donation of household bric-a-brac and items suitable for "learning through play".
Vans, trailers and large vehicles
If you intend to bring in your waste using a:
- van (up to 3.5T GVW)
- other large vehicle (over 2T up to a maximum of 3.5T in GVW)
you need to let us know:
Book a site visit with a van or trailer
Due to the large number of bookings being made, you may not be able to visit on your preferred date.
Local businesses can use Stobhill Recycling Centre to dispose of their waste and recycling. More information.
- Garden waste
- Scrap metal
- Electrical items (You can bring one of each type of large domestic kitchen appliance on each visit)
- Cooking oil (Stobhill Recycling Centre only. Can also be recycled at Sainsbury's, Straiton)
- Engine oil (Stobhill Recycling Centre only. Up to 10L)
- Car batteries
- Household batteries
- Gas cylinders (Stobhill Recycling Centre only)
- Mixed food and drink plastic packaging
- Food and drink cartons
- Glass bottles and jars
- Food and drink cans
- Non-recyclable household waste
- Rubble / plasterboard (Stobhill Recycling Centre only) You can only bring up to 4 bags of rubble or plasterboard on each visit. If you have large amounts of rubble, plasterboard or hardcore, you should hire a skip.
- Garden hand tools
- Bicycles (Stobhill Recycling Centre only) Bicycles in good condition can be donated for reuse.
Penicuik Recycling Centre
Penicuik Recycling Centre is now open. Check the new layout before your visit.
- No vans or trailers. If you need to use a large vehicle or trailer to transport your waste, please visit Stobhill Recycling Centre. Book here.
- We cannot take the following materials at this site. Take them to Stobhill Recycling Centre.
- gas canisters/ fire extinguishers
Why can't I bring these materials to Penicuik Recycling Centre?
To reduce the number of times we need to close the site to swap a full container with an empty one, general waste is compacted or squashed on site. Mattresses and sofas will block the compactor. Paint and oil will leak out. Gas canisters pose an explosion risk if compacted. Information on rubble disposal.
What about other large furniture?
- If it fits in the boot of your car, it will fit in the general waste compactor at Penicuik Recycling Centre.
- If it is larger and you need to drop the passenger seats to fit it in the car, you must take it to Stobhill Recycling Centre.
Other waste is not compacted:
- Wooden wardrobes can go in the wood / laminate skip.
- Metal bedframes can go in the scrap metal skip.