Household waste recycling centres
All council Recycling Centres across Scotland closed as directed by the Scottish Government in mid-March.
Stobhill Recycling Centre re-opened on 1 June
- Stobhill Recycling Centre re-opened on Monday 1 June. Opening times.
- Penicuik Recycling Centre will remain closed for safety reasons (see below for further information).
If your waste can be stored at home without risk of injury or harm to health, please continue to do so.
We want the Recycling Centre to work as efficiently as it can, while prioritising the health and safety of staff and visitors. Strict measures will enforce social distancing rules.
- Please check the new layout plan before your visit.
- You can no longer turn right into Stobhill Recycling Centre. Please check the diversion before your visit
- Staff will control access to facilities, and limit the number of vehicles on site. Expect a delay in getting on site.
- We only accept waste from Midlothian households, so we may ask for proof of identity and residency, such as a driving licence, council tax or utility bill.
- Please be patient and respectful to site staff, and follow all directions given. Abusive behaviour towards staff will not be tolerated.
- You will have to offload your own waste. To maintain social distancing, staff will not be able to help with this.
- Children and animals must stay in vehicles at all times.
- Separate your waste into different materials before coming to the site. This will make it quicker and easier to place in the correct skip.
- The reuse cabin will remain closed.
- There is no pedestrian access.
Vans, trailers and large vehicles
- There will be no access for vans, trailers or other large vehicles (over 2 tonnes in GVW) until Monday 15 June.
- The online van/trailer booking system will open at 10am on Monday 8 June for entry on or after 15 June. No bookings will be taken before then. Further details to follow.
From 15 June, we will accept trade waste on payment of the waste disposal charge. Further details to follow.
- Police will be in attendance.
- Please expect to wait in a lengthy queue and a long delay in getting on site.
- No right turn from Stobhill Road into the Recycling Centre access road.
- No queuing on Stobhill Road.
Why is Penicuik Recycling Centre not re-opening?
- It is difficult to manage traffic safely in and around Bellman’s Road.
- There is no space for off-road queuing of traffic, or to change the containers when the public are on site.
- Our workforce is still much reduced, and we have to prioritise our services.
- Adequate social distancing measures are difficult to put in place to protect both you and our staff.
- Garden waste
- Scrap metal
- Electrical items (You can bring one of each type of large kitchen appliance on each visit)
- Cooking oil (Can also be recycled at Sainsbury's, Straiton)
- Engine oil (Up to 10L)
- Car batteries
- Household batteries
- Gas cylinders
- Mixed food and drink plastic packaging
- Food and drink cartons
- Glass bottles and jars
- Food and drink cans
- Non-recyclable household waste
- Rubble / plasterboard You can only bring up to 4 bags of rubble / plasterboard on each visit. If you have large amounts of rubble, plasterboard or hardcore, you should hire a skip.
- Garden hand tools (not currently available)