Household waste recycling centres
Stobhill Recycling Centre is now accepting garden hand tools for reuse.
We only accept waste from households in Midlothian, so we may ask for proof of identity and residency, such as a driving licence, council tax or utility bill.
We cannot recycle hard plastic
No local companies can take these items for recycling due to global market conditions. Please put hard plastic in the general waste skip.
Mattresses, sofas and rubble
Please take mattresses, sofas and rubble to Stobhill. We cannot take these at Penicuik Recycling Centre due to the small size of the site, and the machine that compacts the waste.
- Garden waste
- Scrap metal
- Electrical items
- Cooking oil (Stobhill only. Can also be recycled at Sainsbury's, Straiton)
- Engine oil
- Car batteries
- Household batteries
- Gas cylinders (Stobhill only)
- Mixed food and drink plastic packaging
- Food and drink cartons
- Glass bottles and jars
- Food and drink cans
- Non-recyclable household waste
- Paint (Stobhill only)
- Rubble (Stobhill only). You can only bring up to 4 bags of rubble on each visit. If you have large amounts or rubble or hardcore, you should hire a skip.
- Garden hand tools (Stobhill only).
Please follow all instructions from site staff.
We do not tolerate harassment of site staff.
Observe all speed limits and traffic signs.
- Children and animals must stay in vehicles at all times.
Separate your waste for recycling before visiting.
Materials deposited at the sites cannot be removed.
You must let us know in advance before bringing waste in a van, pick-up vehicle or large trailer.
Caravans, campervans, mini-buses, horse boxes and motorhomes are not allowed on site.
There is no pedestrian access to the recycling centres.
All vehicles over 2 tonnes and all large trailers cannot use Penicuik HWRC, and should use Stobhill HWRC instead.
Commercial / trade waste
From 01 October 2018, Stobhill Recycling Centre will accept trade waste and trade recycling from local businesses. A charge is made for this.