Household waste recycling centres
We only accept waste from households in Midlothian, so we may ask for proof of identity and residency, such as a driving licence, council tax or utility bill.
We are unable to recycle hard plastic
No local companies can take these items for recycling due to global market conditions. Please put hard plastic in the general waste skip.
Mattresses and sofas
Please take mattresses and sofas to Stobhill. We cannot accept these at Penicuik at the moment.
- Garden waste
- Scrap metal
- Electrical and electronic equipment
- Cooking oil (Stobhill only. Can also be recycled at Sainsbury's, Straiton)
- Engine oil
- Car batteries
- Household batteries
- Gas cylinders (Stobhill only)
- Mixed plastics
- Food and drink cartons
- Glass bottles and jars
- Food and drink cans
- Non-recyclable material
- Rubble (Rubble is classified as Construction and Demolition Waste. You can only bring up to 4 bags of rubble on each visit. If you have large amounts or rubble or hardcore, you should hire a skip.)
Please follow all instructions from site staff.
We do not tolerate harassment of site staff.
Observe all speed limits and traffic signs.
- Children and animals must stay in vehicles at all times.
Separate your waste for recycling before visiting the site.
Materials deposited at this site cannot be removed.
You must let us know in advance before bringing waste in a van, pick-up vehicle or large trailer.
Caravans, campervans, mini-buses, horse boxes and motorhomes are not allowed on site.
There is no pedestrian access to the recycling centres.
All vehicles over 2 tonnes cannot use Penicuik HWRC, and should use Stobhill HWRC instead.
Commercial / trade waste
Our recycling centres are there for you to deposit your own waste. Commercial businesses and traders are not allowed to use the recycling centres to dispose of trade waste.