Household waste recycling centres
Stobhill Recycling Centre is open
Penicuik Recycling Centre will remain closed for safety reasons (see below for more information).
We only accept waste from Midlothian households. So we may ask for proof of identity and residency, such as a driving licence, council tax or utility bill.
If your waste can be stored at home without risk of injury or harm to health, please continue to do so.
We want the Recycling Centre to work as efficiently as it can, while prioritising the health and safety of staff and visitors. Strict measures will enforce social distancing rules.
- Please check the new layout plan before your visit.
- Separate your waste into different materials before coming to the site. This will make it quicker and easier to place in the correct skip.
- Staff will control access to facilities, and limit the number of vehicles on site. Expect a delay in getting on site. This could be up to 2 hours.
- Please be patient and respectful to site staff, and follow all their directions. We will not tolerate abuse of our staff.
- You will have to offload your own waste. To keep social distancing, staff cannot help with this.
- Children and animals must stay in vehicles at all times.
- The reuse cabin is closed.
- There is no pedestrian access.
Vans, trailers and large vehicles
If you need to bring in your waste using a van, trailers or other large vehicles (over 2 tonnes in GVW) you need to let us know. Book your van/trailer visit.
Due to the large number of bookings being made, you may not be able to visit on your preferred date.
We are currently unable to accept trade waste at the Recycling Centre.
Why is Penicuik Recycling Centre not re-opening?
- It is difficult to manage traffic safely in and around Bellman’s Road.
- There is no space for off-road queuing of traffic, or to change the containers when the public are on site.
- Our workforce is still much reduced, and we have to prioritise our services.
- Adequate social distancing measures are difficult to put in place to protect both you and our staff.
- Garden waste
- Scrap metal
- Electrical items (You can bring one of each type of large kitchen appliance on each visit)
- Cooking oil (Can also be recycled at Sainsbury's, Straiton)
- Engine oil (Up to 10L)
- Car batteries
- Household batteries
- Gas cylinders
- Mixed food and drink plastic packaging
- Food and drink cartons
- Glass bottles and jars
- Food and drink cans
- Non-recyclable household waste
- Rubble / plasterboard You can only bring up to 4 bags of rubble / plasterboard on each visit. If you have large amounts of rubble, plasterboard or hardcore, you should hire a skip.
- Garden hand tools (not currently available)