Household waste recycling centres
Stay at Home regulations
- The Recycling Centre remains open at this time
- Please follow the public health and social distancing guidelines below.
Public health and social distancing
- Wear a face covering whilst on site, unless you have an exemption.
- Wash your hands before and after your visit (and wear gloves if possible)
- Ensure any COVID-19 contaminated waste is left for 72 hours (3 days) before double-bagging and bringing to site.
- Check the new layout plan before your visit.
- On arrival, tell the staff what type of waste you have brought. They will direct you to a zone where you can off load your waste.
- Only one vehicle at time is allowed in each zone, using a one way system.
- You must stay within your zone. If you need to dispose of waste in another zone, you must drive there.
- Only enter a disposal zone once the previous vehicle has left the area.
- Staff cannot help you unload your vehicle. Only bring what you can lift/carry yourself.
Stobhill Recycling Centre
We only accept waste from Midlothian households. So we may ask for proof of identity and residency, such as a driving licence, council tax or utility bill.
- Separate your waste into different materials before coming to the site. This will make it quicker and easier to place in the correct skip.
- Staff will control access to facilities, and limit the number of vehicles on site. Expect a delay in getting on site. This could be up to 2 hours.
- Please be patient and respectful to site staff, and follow all their directions. We will not tolerate abuse of our staff.
- Remain in your vehicle until you are ready to unload your waste.
- A maximum of 2 people are allowed out of the vehicle to unload items.
- You will have to offload your own waste. To keep social distancing, staff cannot help with this.
- You must not enter a container to retrieve or remove any type of material.
- Only 4 refuse sacks of rubble can be disposed of on a visit
- Only 1 of each type of large kitchen appliance can be disposed of on a visit.
- We only accept domestic kitchen appliances, not commercial or trade appliances. More details.
- Children and animals must stay in vehicles at all times.
- There is no pedestrian access.
The reuse cabin remains closed at this time.
Vans, trailers and large vehicles
If you intend to bring in your waste using a:
- van (up to 3.5T GVW)
- other large vehicle (over 2T up to a maximum of 3.5T in GVW)
you need to let us know. Book your van/trailer visit.
Due to the large number of bookings being made, you may not be able to visit on your preferred date.
Local businesses can use Stobhill Recycling Centre to dispose of their waste and recycling. More information.
- Garden waste
- Scrap metal
- Electrical items (You can bring one of each type of large domestic kitchen appliance on each visit)
- Cooking oil (Can also be recycled at Sainsbury's, Straiton)
- Engine oil (Up to 10L)
- Car batteries
- Household batteries
- Gas cylinders
- Mixed food and drink plastic packaging
- Food and drink cartons
- Glass bottles and jars
- Food and drink cans
- Non-recyclable household waste
- Rubble / plasterboard You can only bring up to 4 bags of rubble or plasterboard on each visit. If you have large amounts of rubble, plasterboard or hardcore, you should hire a skip.
- Garden hand tools
Penicuik Recycling Centre reopening update
Work which will allow us to reopen the site to the public has now started. We intend to:
- Open the wall at the bottom end of the site to create a new “in” gate.
- Resurface the site, and paint relevant road markings.
- Amend the current “in/out” gate to an “exit” gate only.
- Improve site signage.
We will update you on a reopening date as soon as we can.