Household waste recycling centres
In line with national guidelines to protect public health, the Recycling Centres are now CLOSED.
- Sites will remain closed for a minimum of three weeks.
- All van/trailer/large vehicle bookings are cancelled. Bookings made for this week will not count against your 6-visit limit for 2020.
- Please store waste at home until we can re-open the Recycling Centres and resume all kerbside collections.
- Don’t leave waste at the entrance to the sites.
- Dumping waste is a serious offence. Anyone caught can be prosecuted.
We only accept waste from Midlothian households, so we may ask for proof of identity and residency, such as a driving licence, council tax or utility bill.
If you need to use a van, trailer or other large vehicle to transport your waste, you must book into Stobhill Recycling Centre. Only private cars have access to Penicuik Recycling Centre.
Penicuik Recycling Centre is now accepting garden hand tools for reuse.
Stobhill Recycling Centre has a reuse cabin where you can donate furniture and household items.
We cannot recycle hard plastic
No local companies can take these items for recycling due to global market conditions. Please put hard plastic in the general waste skip.
Mattresses, sofas and rubble/plasterboard
Please take mattresses, sofas and rubble/plasterboard to Stobhill. We cannot take these at Penicuik Recycling Centre due to the small size of the site, and the machine that compacts the waste.
- Garden waste
- Scrap metal
- Electrical items (You can bring one of each type of large kitchen appliance on each visit)
- Cooking oil (Stobhill only. Can also be recycled at Sainsbury's, Straiton)
- Engine oil (Stobhill only. Up to 10L)
- Car batteries
- Household batteries
- Gas cylinders (Stobhill only)
- Mixed food and drink plastic packaging
- Food and drink cartons
- Glass bottles and jars
- Food and drink cans
- Non-recyclable household waste
- Rubble / plasterboard (Stobhill only). You can only bring up to 4 bags of rubble / plasterboard on each visit. If you have large amounts of rubble, plasterboard or hardcore, you should hire a skip.
- Garden hand tools
Please follow all instructions from site staff.
We do not tolerate harassment of site staff.
Observe all speed limits and traffic signs.
- Children and animals must stay in vehicles at all times.
Separate your waste for recycling before visiting.
Materials deposited at the sites cannot be removed.
You must let us know in advance before bringing waste in a van, pick-up vehicle or trailer.
Caravans, mini-buses, horse boxes and motorhomes over 3.5T are not allowed on site.
There is no pedestrian access to the recycling centres.
Waste transported in a van, trailer or large vehicle should go to Stobhill HWRC only.
Commercial / trade waste
Local businesses can use Stobhill Recycling Centre to dispose of trade waste or recycling. A charge is made for this. More information.