Household waste recycling centres
Penicuik Recycling Centre reopening update
We expect the site to reopen in early December.
Work which will allow us to reopen the site to the public starts from Monday 19 October. We intend to:
- Open the wall at the bottom end of the site to create a new “in” gate.
- Resurface the site, and paint relevant road markings
- Amend the current “in/out” gate to an “exit” gate only
- Improve site signage
Stobhill Recycling Centre is open
We only accept waste from Midlothian households. So we may ask for proof of identity and residency, such as a driving licence, council tax or utility bill.
We want the Recycling Centre to work as efficiently as it can, while prioritising the health and safety of staff and visitors. Strict measures will enforce social distancing rules. Please check the new layout plan before your visit.
- Separate your waste into different materials before coming to the site. This will make it quicker and easier to place in the correct skip.
- Staff will control access to facilities, and limit the number of vehicles on site. Expect a delay in getting on site. This could be up to 2 hours.
- Please be patient and respectful to site staff, and follow all their directions. We will not tolerate abuse of our staff.
- Only one vehicle at time is allowed in each zone, using the one way system. Only enter a disposal zone once the previous vehicle has left the area.
- Remain in your vehicle until you are ready to unload your waste.
- A maximum of 2 people are allowed out of the vehicle to unload items.
- You will have to offload your own waste. To keep social distancing, staff cannot help with this.
- You must not enter a container to retrieve or remove any type of material.
- Only 4 refuse sacks of rubble can be disposed of on a visit
- Only 1 of each type of large kitchen appliance can be disposed of on a visit.
- Children and animals must stay in vehicles at all times.
- There is no pedestrian access.
The reuse cabin remains closed at this time.
Vans, trailers and large vehicles
If you intend to bring in your waste using a:
- van (up to 3.5T GVW)
- other large vehicle (over 2T up to a maximum of 3.5T in GVW)
you need to let us know. Book your van/trailer visit.
Due to the large number of bookings being made, you may not be able to visit on your preferred date.
We cannot currently accept trade waste at the Recycling Centre.
- Garden waste
- Scrap metal
- Electrical items (You can bring one of each type of large kitchen appliance on each visit)
- Cooking oil (Can also be recycled at Sainsbury's, Straiton)
- Engine oil (Up to 10L)
- Car batteries
- Household batteries
- Gas cylinders
- Mixed food and drink plastic packaging
- Food and drink cartons
- Glass bottles and jars
- Food and drink cans
- Non-recyclable household waste
- Rubble / plasterboard You can only bring up to 4 bags of rubble / plasterboard on each visit. If you have large amounts of rubble, plasterboard or hardcore, you should hire a skip.
- Garden hand tools