Household waste recycling centres
If you need to use a van, trailer or other large vehicle to transport your waste, you must dispose of it at Stobhill Recycling Centre. Access to Penicuik Recycling Centre is limited to private cars only.
Stobhill Recycling Centre is now accepting garden hand tools for reuse.
We also have a reuse cabin to allow you to donate furniture and household items.
We only accept waste from Midlothian households, so we may ask for proof of identity and residency, such as a driving licence, council tax or utility bill.
We cannot recycle hard plastic
No local companies can take these items for recycling due to global market conditions. Please put hard plastic in the general waste skip.
Mattresses, sofas and rubble/plasterboard
Please take mattresses, sofas and rubble/plasterboard to Stobhill. We cannot take these at Penicuik Recycling Centre due to the small size of the site, and the machine that compacts the waste.
- Garden waste
- Scrap metal
- Electrical items (You can bring one of each type of large kitchen appliance on each visit)
- Cooking oil (Stobhill only. Can also be recycled at Sainsbury's, Straiton)
- Engine oil (up to 10L)
- Car batteries
- Household batteries
- Gas cylinders (Stobhill only)
- Mixed food and drink plastic packaging
- Food and drink cartons
- Glass bottles and jars
- Food and drink cans
- Non-recyclable household waste
- Rubble / plasterboard (Stobhill only). You can only bring up to 4 bags of rubble / plasterboard on each visit. If you have large amounts of rubble, plasterboard or hardcore, you should hire a skip.
- Garden hand tools (Stobhill only).
Please follow all instructions from site staff.
We do not tolerate harassment of site staff.
Observe all speed limits and traffic signs.
- Children and animals must stay in vehicles at all times.
Separate your waste for recycling before visiting.
Materials deposited at the sites cannot be removed.
You must let us know in advance before bringing waste in a van, pick-up vehicle or large trailer.
Caravans, mini-buses, horse boxes and motorhomes over 3.5T are not allowed on site.
There is no pedestrian access to the recycling centres.
Waste transported in a van, trailer or large vehicle should go to Stobhill HWRC only.
Commercial / trade waste
Local businesses can use Stobhill Recycling Centre to dispose of trade waste or recycling. A charge is made for this. More information.