Household waste recycling centres
Household waste van / trailer booking
Due to limits on the number of vans/trailer allowed on site each day, you may not be able to visit on your preferred date. The earliest date may be up to two weeks in the future.
To allow all residents to be able to access the site, you will only be able to bring your waste in a van/trailer once per day.
Please expect a long delay while waiting to access the site.
As part of new traffic management measures, customers using a van, trailer or large vehicle to transport waste may face further delays once onsite.
- If you need to use a van, trailer or other large vehicle to transport your waste, you must go to Stobhill Recycling Centre.
- Drivers of cars towing trailers of all sizes must book in.
- The last entry time for vans, trailers and large vehicles is 3:45pm. This is to allow you time to empty your vehicle and correctly recycle your waste.
- You can bring waste to the Recycling Centre in your own van, trailer or large vehicle a maximum of 6 times a year (January to December).
- You can bring waste to the Recycling Centre in a hire van a maximum of 6 times a year (January to December).
- If you are borrowing a van, trailer or large vehicle to bring in your own household waste, you can bring waste to the Recycling Centre a maximum of 6 times a year (January to December) up to the vehicle's 6 visit allocation. You are responsible for advising the van owner your visit will count against their vehicle's allowance.
- The person making the booking must also bring in the waste.
All vans and trailers
You should book access to Stobhill Recycling Centre for:
- All vans up to 3,500kg GVW, including hire vans
- All pick-up vehicles
- All sign-written vehicles, except hire cars, taxis and courtesy cars
- All private cars towing a trailer
- Vehicles classified as Private or Light Goods Vehicles (PLG)
- Campervans / caravanettes up to a GVW of 3,500kg
You can book for either a van or a trailer - not both. Vans towing a trailer are not accepted.
We are unable to accommodate any vehicle larger than 3,500kg GVW.
You can no longer bring waste to Penicuik Recycling Centre in a small van or trailer.
Vehicles not allowed on site
These vehicles cannot be booked in:
- Motorhomes over 3,500kg GVW
- Horse boxes
- Vans towing a trailer
- Any other vehicle over 3,500kg GVW
All bookings made on a Friday after 14:30 will be processed the next working day.
- Please book as early as possible before your visit.
- You cannot book for the same day, but you can book online until 16:45, and by telephone until 17:00 Monday to Thursday.
- Online bookings made on a Saturday, Sunday, Bank Holiday, or after 16:45 Monday to Thursday, will be processed the next working day.
- If you intend to visit at the weekend, please book before 14:30 on the Friday before you intend to visit.
- If you intend to visit more than once on the same day, you must book separately for each visit.
You will be asked to provide details of your:
- Address and postcode
- Date of proposed visit
- Details of the vehicle you will be bringing in
- Details of the type of waste you will be bringing in
You will be get a reference number by email. You will need this to gain entry to the Recycling Centre.
If you have difficulty using the form, call us on 0131 561 5284. Lines are open Monday - Thursday from 9am-5pm and Friday 9am to 3:30pm.
Like all users of the centre, you may also be asked for proof of identity or residency, such as a driving licence, council tax or utility bill.
The person making the booking must also bring in the waste.
If you cannot attend
You must cancel your booking before 12 noon on the day before your visit.
Otherwise this will count against your total number of visits.
If you require additional visits over your 6 visit allocations, you can visit the site upon payment of a flat rate of £100 per visit - up to a gross vehicle weight of 3,500kg.