Household waste recycling centres
Van / trailer booking
You must book access to either Penicuik or Stobhill centre for:
- All vans of any size, including hire vans
- All pick-up vehicles
- All sign-written vehicles, except hire cars, taxis and courtesy cars
- All vehicles towing a trailer, except private cars towing a small trailer (up to 6ft long by 4ft wide).
- Vehicles classified as Private or Light Goods Vehicles (PLG)
You can book for either a van or a trailer - not both. Vans towing a trailer are not accepted.
Vehicles over 2 tonnes and trailers
- All vehicles over 2 tonnes
- Trailers of any size
cannot use Penicuik HWRC, and should go to Stobhill HWRC.
Vehicles not allowed on site
These vehicles cannot be booked in:
- Horse boxes
- Vans towing a trailer
Make a booking
All bookings made on a Friday after 14:30 will be now processed the next working day. Weekend staff working arrangements have changed.
- Please book as early as possible before your visit.
- You cannot book for the same day, but you can book online until 17:45, and by telephone until 18:00 Monday to Thursday.
- Online bookings made on a Saturday, Sunday, Bank Holiday, or after 17:45 Monday to Thursday, will be processed the next working day.
- If you intend to visit at the weekend, please book before 14:30 on the Friday before you intend to visit.
- If you intend to visit more than once on the same day, you must book separately for each visit.
You will be asked to provide details of your:
- Address and postcode
- Date of proposed visit
- Details of the vehicle you will be bringing in
- Details of the type of waste you will be bringing in
You will be get a reference number by email. You will need this to gain entry to the Recycling Centre.
If you have difficulty using the form, call us on 0131 561 5284. Lines are open Monday - Friday from 8am-6pm.
Like all users of the centre, you may also be asked for proof of identity or residency, such as a driving licence, council tax or utility bill.
The person making the booking must also bring in the waste.